Winter clothing opinions

lancelogan

I want to get out on my mountain bike to try and biuld up some base fitness before the road stuff begins.

I already have some base layers and jerseys but want opinions on gilets and warm bib tights and overshoes too.

Does anyone have any opinions on what to buy or have anything for sale?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Endura overshoes excellent.

Any windtex fronted jacket - amazing how warm they keep you in freezing temps.

Mike Dyason undershirts - the Nowegian army material - akla I think - again very warm and hold practically no moisture.

cheers

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

I want to get out on my mountain bike to try and biuld up some base fitness before the road stuff begins.

I already have some base layers and jerseys but want opinions on gilets and warm bib tights and overshoes too.

Does anyone have any opinions on what to buy or have anything for sale?

Sounds like you have a good start with the base layers. I prefer to wear bib shorts then thermal tights over the top of them.If its bitterly cold then a pair of base layer tights between the two.

As Paul say's a wind proof fronted jacket is invaluable and needn't cost a fortune.

The gilet is handy too, if you can get a water resistant one it will help to shield your chest from wind chill too. I cant comment on other manufacturers but I have used Endura overshoes in the past, and they perform very well. I decided to go for waterproof winter boots though as I have very poor circulation. Its a tough call at this time of year, deciding what to wear as a rule of thumb I tend to think if you are too warm before you leave the house you have overdressed!

Mark,

Forget all this fancy talk of winter kit. What you need is a pair of club bibshorts and a short sleeve jersey with 3/4 zip.

Top these off with a pair of JWCC track mitts and a club oppy cap and you'll be the talk of the bunch on those club rides

What you waiting for? I'll be at the club on Tuesday night from 7pm. Bring your cash

KennyS

layers layers layers.

base-long or short sleeve.

bib shorts

bib tights wind proof @knees a minimum

short sleeve

long sleeve- winter weight

gilet (most are water repellant)

cape in back pocket for emergencies

thicker socks/slacker shoes

skull cap under bunnet

overshoes

seal skin gloves(bees knees)

you can alter zips for heat management.

all of the above MUST be all your old gear coz thats what winters for innit?

especially on mtb in winter! have fun