Some advice please

Iain M

May sound daft, but have you bought the right look cleats, had similar problem with the red ones, when i bought new peddals, but ther are a number of different cleat type delta and the other one which i vcant remember

• Life Members

Hi Iain,

How are you, good I hope.

As far as I know, there are Look delta pedals & Look Keo pedals, the delta ones are older style, and the newer Keo type are smaller and will only work properly with Keo cleats. The difference in colour refers to the "float" of the cleats (which basically means Black 0 float, Grey 4.5 degrees & Red 9 degrees, I think these refers to the degree you can move you feet before the cleat unclip the pedal, normally the Grey colour one is most used)

Anyway, you will need to find out what Look pedal type you have and get the cleats accordingly, easy!

Here's a link to wiggle for a keo pedal:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Look_ ... 360022791/

Just to confuse things a little, Look recently brought out new Keo 2 pedal series.

Hope that help and not further confuse you.

Cheers

Chung

Iain

The keo cleat is smaller than the older cleat, that could be the reason for your cleat slipping out of the pedal. Re float some say the more float the less pain on your knees, however there is equally as strong an argument to say the less float the better.

I lstarted with red cleats but now use grey cleats and that seems to stop me having problems with my knees, mind you the cleats might have nothing to do with it and it might be my monthly supply of zipvits

• 2023 Subscriptions

Iain,

Notwithstanding the Delta, Keo or Keo 2 issues, I have dodgy knees and have used Red (Delta) cleats for the last ten years and found them great. I have never once accidentally unclipped. If you think about it, the way they give you more float actually makes it "harder" to unclip, as you need to twist your foot more before it starts to release (as an engineer, I have actually looked into it!).

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth!

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Iain

thanks for your thread. I bought cleats recently only to discover they did not fit my pedal. They looked darn similar to the ones I replaced. Can I extend the thread and ask what pedals are the best. The reason I ask is on one bike I have a very light time pedal but on another have a clumpy looking metal pedal. I feel more power goes through the bigger pedal. Opinions on cleats and pedals would be appreciated

Charlie

• 2023 Subscriptions

For my tuppence worth I'm a fervent convert from Look to Time, and that after 15 years of using Look. Simple reason was I could not get Look system to be silent (squeaks etc.) so I tried Time and that was that. Bit harder to engage but excellent float, very positive engagement and they have the biggest actual (as opposed to perceived) contact area between cleat and pedal (or did have 2 years ago). Also have a low offset (distance from contact surface to pedal centre line) which is a key factor alongside contact area in the efficiency of power transfer.

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

Guest Jim Daly

For optimum system configuration for zero cafe waddle, road race lightness, multiple means of immediate engagement, instant disengagement as if from childrens flat pedals but zero unintended, and maximum variable free float:

Eggbeater by Crank Bros with mountain bike shoes.

Prices range from really cheap to really dear versions.

• Life Members

Hi jim,

I knew you would come in to this at some point about the crank brothers egg beater. Talk about a wide price range, they start from the basic cheap and heavy version at £28 and all the way up to the all singing and dancing full titanium at £280, that's what I call choice.

I have a pair myself on my mt bike, and I agree with jim about their performance. Top notch!

Cheers

Chung