alt.club run, Sunday 1st?

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

An idea. Given the current strong interest in CX in the club, and the fact that this week's round of the SCX is Aviemore (and possibly out of reach of many of us) how about an off road club run?

I was thinking about a couple of hours up at Muirshiel, followed by essential reloading at the junction cafe in Lochwinnoch.

We can take a run out from the visitor centre up to the old mine, where there is the making of a good circuit for laps and skills.

Would suit those that are racing at the moment (including those that are just pinning on a number ;-) ) and those that are looking to come back from injury or just keen to give it a go. CX or MTB would work.

Any takers?

• Administrators

I'd love to do this on Sunday but at moment I'm working. might try for few hours annual leave.

Have you tried the trails in Parkhill wood at castle semple?

Haven't been right to top of mine track path as last time I was up the path wasn't passable after land slip.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yep.

Would need to do early, as I'm off to the outer hebrides at lunchtime. I'll plan to be at Murshiel gates/entrance for 9am.

R

Depeding on how the postal strikes affect the delivery of my front mech, I might even have the crosser ready!!

martin this sounds ace. i promise to make every effort to be there.

my fitness is cr@p due to recurrring old Squash knee injury, but cycling is still on the cards. i have appt with Ross Hall knee guy (Brian Rooney) tomorrow, so will hopefully know what the problem is soon.

will keep tabs on site for Sun start time.

ta

al.

ps. sorry i never made Murdock to support you all, but i still had hangover from FRi night...yes i was that bad ;-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Meant to say that the part of the Lochwinnoch - Kilmalcom road that leads to Muirshiel is shut at the moment for re-surfacing. It is passable with care, for "access purposes" and is certainly ok on a corss/mountain bike or on foot.

I'm not condoning the blatant ignoring of road closure signs, but I'm still going to go. My folks live up the Muirshiel road anyway, so I'm going to visit them anyway (yes - that does mean that it was my biking playground as a kid, but, no - I'm still no good off road).

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ramsay

is the road up to Muirshiel closed the whole way up from the junction with the main road? Can you take a car up for 'access purposes'? How do people living up there, or going to the park, get in and out just now?

M

• Committee

Another suggestion.

There is a land-rover track from Muirshiel across Duchal Moor through to Kilmacolm High Dam and Hardridge farm.

Instead of the mine track take the RH branch of the track to the east of the River Calder, over a locked gate, and up onto the moor.

AFAIK this track is not on OS maps. Passes under the pylons marked on OS and then along line of old shooting railway.

MTBs are good, CX bikes would be fine but definitely not road bikes. If the weather is good there are great views down Strathgryffe.

Then cycle track back from Kilmacolm/Quarriers.

Can't join you. Have fun.

a

• 2023 Subscriptions

Have just been over the Lochwinnoch - Kilmacolm road on my way to work. The road closed signs are still up, but the re-surfacing looks complete and all the kit is away. I assume they will white line the road and re-open soon.

That's my route to work, so will report any further progress, but assuming they don't dig up any other bits, then it is fine to get to the park (obviously I'm still not condoning blatant disregard of road closure signs etc............).

Alan - the advantage of going out to the mine is that the descent back to the park is a 35mph +++ off-road blast!! :grin: The track over to Kilmacolm is a good one though.

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Paul,

If you had got the right day you would have found Ramsay on his brand new machine, and me in the car... Woke up with a stinking cold and decided not to brave the elements, but since I'd suggested this run I felt guilty enough that I should go up and see if anyone had been daft/bold enough to ride.

Just big R, who looked as happy as a sandboy on the new KuK machine. Another recruit for Inverkeithing cross on the 15th!

Mul