Hostelling 09

simon simpson

Hostelling Season is upon us!

I am wondering if we can all settle on some dates?

Only dates I currently have free are....

Saturday 3rd October and Sunday 4th October

31st October and 1st November

Saturday 14th Nov and Sunday 15th

Where?

I hear Jura was discussed. I wondered about going to Killin or Aberfeldy direction? Good rides in all directions. I thought we might do an up on Friday night so we get a quick start on Saturday am? Then big dinner and stay over Saturday night.

Catering by group, and I am happy to organise that if we can manage a date?

ss (ex-cyclist)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Simon

Was thinking the very same thing today !

From memory the date that most seemed able was 2nd or 3rd weekend November. So sounds like the 14th/15th you mentioned.

Jura sounds good but for me its too much time on a boat for a long weekend and that time could be spent cycling, or enjoying a refreshment or karaoking or etc

Arran was always excellent or we never did make the Oban one...

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

Ok , so we will go for 14/15th.

I need to be back for the 15th which was why I was saying a Friday nighter into Saturday? So we can ride early saturday. There's a bunkhouse at Fearnan on Loch Tay or one in Aberfeldy , I think at Weem. I'd go for Weem. Great rides in all directions.?

I love the going on a ferry but it won't work for time for me. If we do Weem or whatever it means organising cars for the Friday night or an early Saturday start.

Weem bunkhouse looks good; rides out of Aberfeldy to Loch Tummel, Loch Rannoch, to the south , the great circuit over the BenLaweres flank and the waterboard road up Glen Lyon.

Pub next to bunkhouse but also nice one up the glen Fortingall and Aberfeldy is a few miles away.

Also suits me to nip off early.

What are peoples thoughts?

ss

• 2023 Subscriptions

The Friday night sounds good, given that it'll be getting dark pretty early by then, and i guess it'll take the best part of a coulpe of hours to get there ...... The bunkhouse at Weem looks pretty neat, any idea of the Tarrif's ??

Ian..

I vote for Arran

Within driving distance for those who need to get there on the Saturday morning or get home sharpish on the Sunday as well as having quiet roads and ride options for the Saturday and the way home on the Sunday

Only problem is that the Lochranza Hostel is being renovated and when it comes back online it will be as an Event Hostel during the winter months at a cost of £600 per night (min 2 nights). I seem to recall options on Arran. Anyone remember.

As far as other SYHA options are concerned then Inveraray is currently available as an Event Hostel on the nights of the 20th / 21st November. Sleeps 28 and comes at a cost of £260 per night (min 2 nights). Ride options for Loch Awe, Kintyre, Crinan??????

Port Charlotte hostel on Islay is currently available as an Event Hostel on the 20th / 21st. £280 per night (min 2 nights). May be a bit far but Mul will be able to vouch for hospitality

Oban is available on an individual per night basis and is available for the 14th and 21st

Folks,

Thoughts on this?

http://www.aldersydebunkhouse.co.uk/

Have spoken with the owner and has everyting we need (bike storage, showers, kitchen / dining). A bidon throw from everywhere we would need and available for any weekend in November.

Sleeps up to 24 (10 + 14). £12.50 per night or the whole place for £250 if we want our privacy.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I vote Alders bunkhouse on Arran because

- you can ride there and back if you want

- you can take car to Ardrossan if you are time limited or a distance from Ardrossan

- roads on Arran very quiet

- the short ferry hop makes you feel like your on holiday

- just a personal preference but you can go first ferry Sat morning

- the sea air gives you a great appetite and thirst

I could do the 14th/15th or the weekend after

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !