Ayr Century Ride

Hi All

I'm trying to gauge interest in doing a "big ride" one Saturday or Sunday in August. I have planned a route going over some very quiet roads in South Ayrshire and Galloway. Please have a look at the link below & see what you think.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 0024686198

The route is 100 miles starting & finishing at Ayr - probable cafe stops at Newton Stewart (45miles) and Barr (80 miles). There is one big climb - up to the Nick o' the Balloch.

I am provisionally suggesting Sat 15th August since that doesn't seem to conflict with any other club events or big open races that I'm aware of. (It also gives you a month to recover from the Radar Ride and another month to recover in time for the Katrine Kapers audax...) Doing it on a Saturday means it is possible to get an early train to Ayr for those who don't want to drive (or can't).

It goes without saying that this is intended to be a social ride but if enough people are interested and some want to ride at a more challenging pace then there's no reason why we couldn't have 2 groups setting off at different times & meeting up for lunch. (2 groups max - wouldn't want it to be any more fragmented than that).

Anyway, let me know if you're interested....

Thanks

Tony

Guest Jim Daly

Tony

Paul, Ramsay and I can heartily recommend the Nic O' Balloch climb.

But the route you've drawn appears to have missed it.

I think it's from mile 79 to 26 as currently shown on MapMyRide.

Jim

Guest Jim Daly

Route looks fine, though.

Mile 18-21 is the reverse of usual race routes and is probably quite steady.

Note that mile 79-83 is also a bit of a climb.

Kenny Steele is an expert on this area after driving all over Ayrshire and Galloway for the Girvan.

Yes it will be a social ride - waiting for people, regrouping at the top of hills etc. We won't be dropping people. Even if we decide to split into 2 groups at the start I would expect both groups to wait for people, regroup at the top of hills etc.

It's a brand new riding concept, I'm thinking of calling it a "confined audax" ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes - it's still a goer and still planned for Sat 15th Aug. (I had planned to update this post today but you beat me to it Ian).

This weekend (Sat 8th) we're going down to Dumfries to visit relatives, and I am taking the opportunity to cycle down - from Ayr, via Newton Stewart - so that I can recce the first half of the route. From this I am hoping to:

1. Identify a suitable meeting point in Ayr

2. Find a decent cafe in Newton Stewart (haven't been there for years - don't

know the place that well).

For the meeting point I am thinking of Burns Cottage - it is easy to find, is close to Doonholm Rd which is my preferred escape route from Ayr, and also I believe there is free parking in the vicinity for those who want to take the car down. However I will check that out this Saturday and let you know. (I am open to other suggestions.)

Re start time - 9am probably. Will confirm later once I've looked at the Scotrail timetable...

Darryl

date is now under consideration - didn't realise there was a clash till last night, and I would like to go to the Jets event myself...

Unfortunately I am working on Sun 16th so thinking of the following weekend for this - Sat 22nd or Sunday 23rd. Out of courtesy to those who've already responded I think I should ask if anyone has a preference?

I am away this weekend but want to nail down the date by Monday...want to avoid the weekend of 29th/30th as the Sam Dooley TT is on the 30th and a lot of people will be marshalling etc. (I think most people want to avoid a two-fixture weekend)

Thanks

Tony

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Tony

Sorry to have opened a can of worms. August has a crowded calender. By all means move the date, but whatever you do I don't think I can make it. Sat 22nd I'm away in Germany and also on that date it's the Scottish Youth Champs in Bella Park. Sunday 23rd is the Glasgow Skyride, which I've said I'll do with the kids. The only date I can come is the date you can't :-?

Have a good one.

Cheers

Darryl

Date now finalised - Sunday 23rd August.

As planned I rode the first half of the route on Saturday just past, on my way to Dumfries. Based on this I have made one or two changes to the route - have redrawn it using Memory Map so will probably post links to some JPEGs of it, with elevation profile (8600ft of climbing, as it stands - subject to further refinement).

Car-parking situation in Alloway looks OK - there is a row of about 20-30 public parking spaces on the east side of Monument Rd a couple of hundred yards south of Burns Cottage. (At least I assume they are public spaces - no meter or signs up). When I passed (11am Saturday) only one space was occupied. Maybe that's because the nearby "Tam O'Shanter Experience" (yeuch) has its own car/coach park - as does Burns Cottage.

(I will post directions to get to Burns Cottage nearer the time, although it's not difficult to find and is only a mile or so from the A77.)

There are 3 or 4 cafes in Newton Stewart high street, also a pub called the Cree Inn just where the road emerges onto the B7079, with tables outside, looks a good bet if the weather's OK.

Anyway, hope to see a good few of you there. It should be a good day out... Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Unfortunately i won't make the run, i'm staying up in Aberfoyle on the Sat night after the wedding , so will probably throw bike in the car and have a go at the Dukes Pass on Sunday ....... Hope the day goes well, and the weather is decent :grin:

Cheers

Ian McG...

I now have 2 routes in mind, we can decide on the day:

Route A - 103 miles, 9104 ft of climbing

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=74390

Route B - 107 miles, 8651 ft of climbing.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=74389

Will probably do the first one as I've ridden 90% of the roads on that route in the recent past - for route B it's more like 60% so would be relying on maps (and long-term memory) a bit more. I can recommend the visitor centre cafe at Clatteringshaws loch - I stopped there last Saturday.