Ayr Century Ride

Guys

start time is 9am - location is Burns Cottage, Alloway - it's just south of Ayr on the outskirts of the town.

If you look at this web page it has a Multimap link from which you can get directions:

http://www.burnsheritagepark.com/location.htm

Personally, the way I would get there (by car) is probably as follows:

Heading down A77 past Ayr - go thru the roundabout signposted A713, then under a railway bridge, and then about half a mile after that you come to a wee staggered crossroads. I think the road on the left is signposted Corton, the one on the right is probably Alloway. Turn right and that's you in Doonholm Road (heading into Ayr, towards Alloway). Follow the road (straight through one roundabout) and you will shortly come to Burns Cottage. When you get to Burns Cottage turn left, head down the road a couple of hundred yards and you will see public parking spaces on the left hand side of the road (opposite the big houses).

Anybody want a lift? I think me and John will be going down in my car, with room for one more - our bikes on the roof, yours in the back...PM me and we can exchange mobile numbers.

Thanks

Tony

Due to "fixture congestion" and the dire forecast, just three turned up - me, John and Al (Simon's mate).

Conditions were fairly miserable as we set out from Alloway and headed out to Maybole, Crosshill and up the Nick. By the time we got to the top (1280ft) it was still raining steadily and rather windy too. I had an "escape route" in mind and we decided to take it....we headed north-east, down the long descent to Straiton, on to Kirkmichael and the "high" road to Dalrymple then back to Ayr.

Our reduced route was about 45 miles in total. Great roads, shame about the weather - thanks to John and Al for accompanying me on this ride. A bit of conversation certainly makes the miles go by quicker on a day like this...

Incidentally here's what the view from the Nick looks like in nice weather:

http://www.ayrshirescotland.com/towns/n ... lloch.html

Hope to rearrange this another time when more people can make it along and hopefully the weather will be kinder :lol::lol::lol: