League 10 Series - Restart

man5e

Next week the conined events calendar notes the continuation of the League 10 series.

For those who rode or spectated what are the views on the use of the start at the Newark roundabout end versus the traditional start at the Westferry railway bridge.

It was originally decided to move the start on safety grounds - feedback appreciated

I posted this back in may, here it is again (part of the post):

When approaching the turn at Bishopton down the sliproad the view into the roundabout is obstructed untill very late. Going round there you get vehicles coming down the hill from Bishopton at fairly high speeds. And the road surface is pretty bad there as well.

What I mean to say is that from a safety point of view there is IMHO no advantage gained. And lots of people have to ride along the course to get there and back.

I would prefer the Bishopton end for starting/finishing.

Personally I felt that it was safer starting at Port Glasgow. It means that you do not have to cross over onto the fast lane to turn at the newarc roundabout.

The Newarc roundabout is fine if you hit it lucky and there is no traffic behind you, however if you're unlucky the cars approach probably doing over 70mph and even after breaking areentering the roundabout, I'd guess at roundabout 40mph. at those speeds and a setting sun in the drivers eyes, you'd have no chance. (it was frightening watching the cars approach it whilst timekeeping)

The Bishopton roundabout turn isn't perfect, but if you go down the sliproad on the inside, keeping this position till the roundabout, you will have a decent view (not perfect, I admit) of oncoming trafic and at worse have the option to keep to the outside of the roundabout and break if there is a car. Also the cars are travelling much slower giving both the driver and the cyclist half a chance.

It was good at the club champs having Campbell at the turn, maybe if numbers permitted we could have a marshal?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Had a mechanical the only time I have tried to ride the course from the Newark side, so didn't complete, but have done it many times from the other end. I think it is fine starting from the West Ferry end.

I agree with Howie that the turn at the West Ferry is slightly obscured and very bad road surface.

While there is no doubt that the approach to the Newark roundabout is fast etc, I'm not sure about the argument of having the turn there is any more dangerous. When the start is at Newark, most people park/congregate on the river side, which means that you still need to cross to the outside lane and go right on the roundabout when you finish (albeit not while you are racing). If anything, finishing at the Newark end and then turning right to get back to the car park is more dangerous, as most will be going significantly slower than they would if it was the turn at race pace and therefore even less likely to "go with the flow" of the traffic.

What I'm really trying to say is I prefer the start at the West Ferry, but am personally happy to ride in either direction. Really looking forward to the rest of 10's, with hopefully no more mechanicals!

Guest DavieR

I feel the Newark start is safer, when finishing there is no need to attempt to turn right, I turn left at the roundabout heading for the Clune, trundle along and when safe make a u turn and go back to the roundabout where you are then going straight through to the car park which is much safer. Depending on whichever end is decided upon George Hamilton should be made to start from either Bishopton or Greenock with a square rear disc wheel!