Sunday 11th May

KennyS

Anybody interested in an easy paced run around Arran on Sunday. I've got a pass for the day and the weather looks to be holding through the weekend

Planning on driving down for the 0945 ferry and returning on the 1640 ferry to Ardrossan

Kenny

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sounds good I'll be there too.

Kenny would it be possible for you give me a lift because my dads car is in the garage at the moment, it might be ready for saturday but we dont know.

Or is it possible for me to get the train down to adrossan? with my bike ?

cya

Greg

Guest Jim Daly

My road bike is stuck on the 11 cog, so road racing is off, this weekend.

I'll probably cycle down to Ardrossan on a spare bike as a warm up for Kenny's grand tour of the island, if anyone cares to join me.

Maybe get the train back to Johnstone, though :roll:

Jim

Guest Jim Daly

Greg

8:00 at Clydesdale Bank, BoW

If running late, we could go straight over the hill to Kilbarchan to join the cycle track

We could meet up with others in Johnstone, if there's a demand.

Jim

Guest DavieR

Wow what a scortcher! Greg Balden, Vicky Begg, Stevie Blom, Jim Daly, Stevie Hickey, James MacDonald, John Johnstone, Kenny Steele and me met at Ardrossan to catch the 9.45 ferry for Arran. Making the same trip were a bunch from the East Kilbride Road Club. We boarded the ferry and retired to the cafe. Young Balden, MacDonald and myself took to the upper deck for some sun worship, (well it is a Sunday!). As we sailed out it looked like we were on a cruise in the Med, beautiful. After twenty minutes there, we retired below decks to the cafe to join the rest of the Joansin for tiffin. Some people say cycling can be a bit of a clique, I don't know about this, but it was pointed out that we were at one end of the room and the EK mob at the other, one of their group did come over and ask what way round we were going, after some discussion he was told, anti clockwise, to which he replied, "We'll go the other way then."

We arrived at Brodick at 10.45 and set off straight away with Mr Steele putting on a brisk pace. First port of call was a few miles down the road at Sannox, where we used the toilet facilities provided. Off once more with Ms Begg and Mr Blom leading the way at the same brisk pace and arriving at Sannox we found the road leaving the coast line and heading inland, with the road gently rising for the first mile or two until suddenly the black ribbon before us stretches out on one long continuous climb, made to look even more severe by the spruce covered hills on either side of us. Single file is now the norm as we find our own pace, MacDonald, Daly and Balden lead the way followed by Begg and Blom, full of enthusiasm I take off early, but 3/4 of the way up a steady Hicky and Johnstone pass me, I ride in to the lay by just ahead of Steele. On the way up we pass a couple on a tandem who pull up at the lay by and say hello, they are from Canada on a two year cycling tour, (of the world, not Arran), they take our picture and then we are off again taking in a great descent, full of twists and turns, back onto the level and heading for Lochranza like a Tour De France TTT. At Lochranza we once again meet the sea and follow the coast line in a southerly direction through Catacol Thundergay, Pirnmill and head down a short sharp descent into Balliekine, all was going well until a local chicken came out to see what the whirring noise was, after a screetch and flapping of wings, he was off back to his coop, suppose its better than pit bull terriers and alsatians. We stopped for lunch next to a golf course near Auchgallon. We met the EK posse who decided to lunch at the same place. The food arrived and we sat back looking out onto a shimmering sea under a cloudless stuffing ourselves with sandwiches and cakes. (Oh God, I sound like Ian Simmet). Time to leave again, but not before we told the EK posse about the kamikaze chicken up the road! Off once more, Ms Begg and Mr Blom took up the reins once more and led us down the coast, a gentle left turn took us in land once more, but no gentle rise to ease us into the climb ahead, this beast roared right away. Finding the right gear, young MacDonald surged ahead with young Balden scampering after him, Mr Daly followed keeping a watchful eye on the whipersnappers. But what of Begg and Blom, they let them go, What were they up to? I decided to keep the tiny bit of powder I had left dry, and stick with them, they were playing a canny game, slowly but surely they upped the pace drawing them in, the road leveled and then climbed again. Now was my chance at glory, just as the road started to rise I grabbed the hooks stood out of the saddle and surged on ths pedals, I was passed them, round the corner only to be met with a section twice as steep! As the tears welled up in my eyes and a lump came to my throat, Mr Blom glided passed me, and just as he did so, spoke those immortal words, "nae luck ya dobber" I was a brocken man, but I would not be beaten, determined to keep them in sight I pushed on keeping it in the big ring as the road resembled a roller coaster at Alton Towers. Alas at Kilpatrick I found the tip of my tongue rubbing on my front tyre, time to give up, a brave attempt but they now slid out of sight. A long slog up to sliddery was rewarded with a descent down to the Irish Sea and through Kilmory and Bennan. I was now in no mans land between the lead group, MacDonald, Balden, Daly, Begg and Blom, (sounds like a lawyers firm), and the chasing pack,Johnstone, Hickey and Steele, (sounds like a Dental Practice!). I toiled up and down, up and down through Dippen Largybeg and Whiting Bay. At Knockenkelly the road veers once again, departing from the Firth of Clyde briefly before joining the shore line at Lamlash Bay, a small climb and then we decend into Lamlash itself. After passing through the main street the road turns sharp left, just before it I am greeted with a sign that tells only three miles to Brodick, what it doesn't tell you is once you turn you're faced with a bloody big hill. For only the second time in the day I'm forced onto the inside ring and the biggest cog, which isn't big enough! Up I go asking who's bloody idea was it to come here anyway! I finally crawl to the top to be met with another rise the same length and the same gradient!!! But all is not lost, I spy a Joansin jersey rolling over the peak above, a couple of big breaths, slip on the big ring, up a sprocket and I'm out of the saddle, I get to the top and there's young Balden rolling along, "I saw you at the bottom and decided to wait" what a guy! I grab his wheel and he pulls me up the last slight incline, the road levels, we ride two abreast and follow whats left of the road down into Brodick, along the front until we come to a cafe where the leaders are sitting. We have missed the podium ceremonies, the pulling on of the winners jersey, the champaigne spraying, I care not a jot, I made it and I'm delighted. A cup of coffee and a cake, (don't tell Simmet) and I wait with the others for the ferry to come over the horizon, soon we can see it in the distance, we gather our things and head down for the terminal, on the way there Johnstone, Hickey and Steele roll in and make tracks for the local Co-op, Mr Steele is seen heading for the off sales. we pass by in silence, heads shaking in disapointment. On the ferry we find a seat and spend the next 50 minutes regailing each other about our adventures that day, except Mr Steele who spends his 50 minutes asking everyoneon the ferry if they have a bottle opener!!

We disembark, say our goodbyes and head off home, satisfied with our days endeavours. A huge well done to the young pretenders MacDonald and Balden, who took it all in their stride. And a special mention to Mr Blom who spent 5 days last week walking all of the West Highland Way, and didn't mention his blisters once.

:grin: Aye Davie yer posts are well worth the log on time :grin:

Superb day out , great bunch too with some never ending patter from messrs Raymond about my Blisters Oh ya dancer !

Good effort by eveyone getting round , James McDonald showed us all again how to climb like the Chickn as we watched him woosh off into the distance.......and out of sight......... :-o

Stevie

Guest DavieR

Kenny,

All good cyclists know that they must carry a spare inner tube, tyre levers and pump. Also crucial, is a pen kept snugly behind the right ear, this enables you to write down all the places you pass through on the skip of your Joansin club cap. It's also very handy for taking down the phone numbers of any lady cyclists you meet on your travels!

Guest DavieR

Kenny,

I did not realise Arran had so many places, I filled both sides of my skip with all the little hamlets we passed through, leaving no room to take down a couple of numbers I collected at Whiting Bay, so I wrote them down on my forearm and then stupidly rubbed them off when applying sun cream. What a numpty!