long run 9th March-early start

Alan McLean

• Committee

hello

A few of us are training for sportives and we're planning on some big runs through spring.

Unless weather is really horrible then Sunday's ride is Erskine, Helensburgh, Arrochar, RABT, Loch Eck, Dunoon ferry then split up for home. 100 miles+.

Meet at south end Erskine Bridge at 0750 for 0800 prompt start at car park just off roundabout at entrance to Hospital.

We need an early start to get back for late lunch. Sociable but not social ride. Maybe short coffee stop and also break at the ferry. Bring two bottles and a shedload of energy bars.

I'll leave Kilmacolm Cross at 0715. If forecast is ice/snow then we'll call it off. Please post here or PM me or Darryl Gunson if interested. 100 miles is a lot this early so please be pretty sure that you and your bike can make it.

No intention to spoil main club run. Have a good ride folks.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan,

I'm keen for the Dunoon run, as I need to get in some decent miles before doing Lands end to John O'Groats in May. If the weather is good I'll see you there. But without trying to sound too negative, the forecast is shocking, so might choose to do something a bit more local. (yes, I might be a bit of a fair weather cyclist! :oops: )

If i'm not there at 8, then have a good day.

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Concern was raised this afternoon by a member of the public on the Dunoon ferry who witnessed a group of 6 cyclists laughing, joking and muttering incoherently about a blueberry muffin.

The 6 had left their Renfrewshire homes shortly after dawn and rode bicycles to Dunoon under the wrath of the winter skies which threw all manner of precipitation at them. A flash poll at the top of the Rest revealed that between them they had 17 and a 1/2 numb body parts. Whilst waiting for the ferry one of the group appeared to have a high frequency vibrating mechanism under his bottom as his legs and hips were gyrating uncontrollably.

The 6, otherwise fit and healthy men cannot be named for legal reasons and have no previous record of insanity.

The case has been deferred for a month whilst background reports are prepared (this could be a concern for some of the group who have previous history of extreme behaviour)

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

• Committee

Loudest noise in Cowal today was six really wet guys whinging about cold hands and feet. Horizontal sleet/hail/rain/snow with a few sunny spells.

Really foul weather and long ride gave me early hypothermia AND hypoglycaemia by the time we reached the ferry.

Red jersey, Duncan for attacking up the Whin.

Spotty jerseys, Paul and Darryl for effortlessly floating up the Rest

Yellow, Howie for just getting on with it and not complaining like the rest of us

White, Ramsey, utterly solid and, I suspect, finding it pretty easy

Next episode probably in a fortnight.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Red jersey for shamelessly attacking after wheel sucking all the way to the last few metres. :oops: mind you another jersey would have been a good idea

I think Darryl and Paul had their minds on the merits of Phils folly just to finish off a good day otherwise they would have swept past :rockets

Duncan

• 2023 Subscriptions

The last few miles along the west ferry was a bit of a hard slog for Howie and myself, trying to get off the dual carriageway as soon as poss. Very busy, lots of spray etc, but the drive back home from Erskine does make me feel like a bit of a fraud after hearing tales of the Whin and Phil's Folly!

Cheers for the tea at Dunoon Paul.

Good day out, despite a bit of rain/snow/sleat/hail.

Ramsay

Hi Guys..

Good day with Ronnie and Gordon sorry that you all could not join us.

First mountain stage of the year.

Glen Fruin.

Old Whistlefield road.

The Rest.

The climb at the Goil watershed.

Hells Glen.

Glendaruel.

Loch Striven.

Loch Tarsan.

Weather wet, wetter, windy, dry up from ferry.

Cafe stops 3- caffine rules.

Distance 170 kms.

Total climb 2000 mtrs.

Next mountain stage + 1 col and better weather with any luck..

Campbell H

I'm so glad that no-one enjoyed themselves :lol: Afterall we are cyclists :roll:

Spot on Paul. Thanks to all for ...er...an interesting day.

See you next time with a few hills thrown in?

Hell's Glen anyone? :grin::grin: