Wanlockhead Trip

Darryl Gunson

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi All

here is the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 1044777670

I suggest we all print this just in case...

Plan is to meet on Saturday 24.11 at 9am at the club rooms.

Some of you said that you would probably drive down and then ride out to meet the bunch. Kenny S, can you confirm this? It would be helpful if car drivers could take some of our gear.

See you all on the 24th

cheers

Darryl

Mr Yeoman and myself plan to take one of the cars down to Wanlockhead in the morning and then head out on the bikes from there.

If anyone wants their bag taken down in the car then we'll be at the Club for 9am on the Saturday morning or else arrange with Mr Y to drop it off at his house on the hill in Erskine beforehand

Do we have a final plan for food and drink yet?

I can take 4 bikes and 4 people in the car

Anyone wanting a lift let me know. Kenny S already booked a seat there and back and 1 other seat home already provisionally booked (I'll save his embarassment till he confirms)

Any takers for the other seats let me know, luggage carries at a reasonable rate - 1 pint per kilo Hello, beer !!

• 2024 Subscriptions
Mr Yeoman and myself plan to take one of the cars down to Wanlockhead in the morning and then head out on the bikes from there.

If anyone wants their bag taken down in the car then we'll be at the Club for 9am on the Saturday morning or else arrange with Mr Y to drop it off at his house on the hill in Erskine beforehand

Do we have a final plan for food and drink yet?

I've just e-mailed the pub to let them know we're coming.

Kenny,

What if everyone wants their bag(s) taken in the car - will there be enough space? How many bags can be carried? Is it a car or a truck? Is it first come first served, or what? :-o

Maybe this should be made clear, as I don't want to be the only one struggling up to Wanlockhead with panniers! :cry:

Will there be two groups - the bagged and bagless? ;-)

Dennis

• 2024 Subscriptions

HELP!!!

I have still been unable to contact the Wanlockhead Inn to check they can accomodate us. I have been ringing for a day now and have left a message, but I would sleep easier if I could actually speak to the owner.

I will be away on business until late Friday night so could you all take it upon yourselves to try and call them. The number is 01659 74535

I have also tried ringing the hostel but their answer phone is on. If someone could get them on the phone, perhaps they could be persuaded to book us in at the pub for dinner. The hostel number is 01659 74544

Cheers

Darryl

Hi all,

Just found out from the hotel in Leadhills that the Wanlockhead pub is closed Monday and Tuesday and opens about 5pm Wednesday. Could anyone not going to spinning tomorrow night call them after 5, find out if they can take us, 'book it up', and post the position here.

If we are stuck, the Hopetoun Arms Hotel in Leadhills, a mile down the road, say they will be happy to take us and they have a good range of pub food. For the purpose of coming back to the hostel after the meal and a drink, it would be a bit of a climb back to the hostel in the dark. Lights would be required.

Here's the web link:

http://www.hopetounarms.co.uk/

Dennis

You may be interested to know, for bag-packing purposes that, unlike the old days, the hostel doesn't have a drying room. The radiators can be used and there is a pulley in the kitchen, but if 17 of us are a' drippin' wet? Naw! :shock:

Looking forward to a great weekend. 8-)

Dennis

Hi Darryl,

Don't have one of these things, but I do have two elastic ropes ;-) and can bring one for you on Saturday.

Forgot to mention in my last post that the hostel does have a coin-operated tumble dryer, but I'm told that a load would take 20 mins which, given the potential numbers of people wanting to use it, would likely take too long.

Anyway, the weather will be fine! Oh ya dancer !

Dennis

Guys,

I made the mistake of playing 5-a-side football last night. I can now hardly walk!! Didn't realise it was possible to hurt in so many places at the same time! :oops:

I won't be able to make it tomorrow. If anyone else wants to take my place, please feel free.

All the best for the run and I hope the weather's not too unkind.

Frank

• 2023 Subscriptions

Frank

I remember my first game of fives!

the important thing to remember is that cycling uses different muscles from football! So when you get on the bike tomorrow you won't feel a thing, really.

go on, you know you want to!

Well, apart from the bad news we got about Kenny, that was a fantastic weekend. We missed the worst of the bad weather - ice, rain and head winds - both days, and even had lots of sunshine. Oh ya dancer !

Thanks to Darryl for organising, Alan for taking the bags both ways in his car, and to everyone else for their company. Kenny, I hope you are out of the pain zone and on the mend.

Below is a link to 21 of the pics taken on the trip. Sorry about the quality of some of them, but I'm not used to the new camera yet. The movie I took of Paul singing 'Leavin' on a jet plane' wouldn't copy over, I'm afraid. Also, I couldn't get the pics copied over in the right order, but hopefully the captions will give a clue!

Dave Philip really enjoyed it too and we may yet see a post from him.

http://flickr.com/photos/21245902@N07/?saved=1

Dennis