Criteriums in Glasgow 15-9-07

Guest Jim Daly

Guest Jim Daly

This support race could be a good opportunity for any Wheelers without a licence who are thinking of giving racing a try:

Scottish Cycling in conjunction with Glasgow City Council and the Tour of Britain present the 2007 Glasgow Grand Prix incorporating the Scottish Criterium Championship on Saturday 15th September 2007. The Championship will precede the finish of the Tour of Britain on Glasgow Green and there will also be a support race for women, juniors and 4th cats (inc 4th cat vets). Entries for both events are now being taken by race organiser Tom Forbes. The closing date for the Championship is Monday 10th September and entries will be taken on the line for the support race. Enter now for what is sure to be a great day's racing in the heart of Glasgow on closed roads.

Race organiser Tom Forbes says, 'This is going to be a major day of cycling for Glasgow and indeed for Scotland. Working with Scottish Cycling I hope that the team involved in the organising of these two events will make it something special for the riders, their family and friends and is definitely the shape of things to come for cycle racing in Scotland. We have worked really hard in the last few weeks and everything is nearly in place. Not only do we have a number of Scottish riders competing in the Tour, but we also hope to be using the same finishing circuit on Glasgow Green as the Tour of Britain, the same podium for our prize winners and of course the same spectators to cheer our riders on. With a host of other activities taking place on Glasgow Green it will be a great day out for all the family and includes a classic car display, a pipe band, a farmers market, the 2014 Commonwealth Games bid team an much much more!'.

Entries to: Tom Forbes

13 Millersneuk Drive

Lenzie

Glasgow

G66 5JF

Telephone: 0141-775-9189

mobile: 07932573328

e-mail: [email protected]

Championship event: Regional C+, E,1, 2, 3, 4, J £10

Support race: Regional C+, W, J, 4 £10

• Committee

Jim

What an exciting prospect, whizzing around Glasgow, traffic free, with big crowds.

I'd llove to do it but unfortunately I am probably about a Cat 6 racer and I reckon I would last about one lap before dropping off.

Could you or Mr Gunson please give us an idea of how fast/experienced the field might be? If there are lots of proper Elite/cat1,2,3 then it would be a nonsense for the likes of me to enter.

But if there is a true punters' race for vets/cat 4/"ordinary" cyclists then I might enter for a dare, but only if a few other JWCC do as well. Can we get a bunch of JWCC entered?

Apart from coming last and bringing dishonour on the club would there be any other potential problems?

Regards

Alan

Having attended the recent WOSCA meeting where Tom discussed this, and as Jim has noted, there are 2 separate events.

The event open to E/1/2/3 is just over 1 hour.

The W/J/4 event is just over 40 minutes.

These events will run prior to the arrival of the Tour of Britain at around 2.30 on the day.

There are a lot of attractions being planned for the day which is designed to try to encourage a wider introduction to cycling.

If interested why not get in touch with Tom whose contact appears earlier in the thread and he can give you a bit more info

Apart from coming last and bringing dishonour on the club would there be any other potential problems?

Yes, people have long memories!!!!!

• 2023 Subscriptions

I am planning to do the crit on 15th Sep. For the E, 1,2,3 race I expect it to be full on from the start. To be more technical I expect to get a tanking. For anyone who has not been racing this year it would probably be very 'challenging' to hang on.

The 4, J, W event is an excellent opportunity to race on closed roads with a decent crowd etc and should be considered as Jim mentions at the top.

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

• Committee

Frank

I will if you will.

I'm away til Sunday. Let me know how to sign up if you do it.

I would suggest we wear full club kit but I'm not sure all publicity is necessarily good publicity for the club. Can we get some Kooriers gear? If so would they pay us not to wear it?

Anyone else want to join?

Regards

Alan

I was planning to do the "Chancer's Handicap APR" at Falkirk on Sunday (the 16th) but I am now thinking of doing this crit (the 4th cat event obviously).

In fact I might be brave and ask the wife if I can do both :shock:

Quite frankly, I don't care if I finish last. This is amateur sport we're talking about here; everyone who makes the effort to turn up and compete is a winner :grin:

I quite fancy the idea of the 4th cat race to and share the exact same worries about severe embarrasment especially in front of wife and kids.

Concerned as to whether kids can now "divorce" their father on the grounds thier bringing humiliation and aforementioned dishonour to them.

Would however provide a catalyst for some much needed training.

• Life Members

Guys, sounds like we've got our selfs a TEAM here.

Count me in as well, like Frank said gotta try it once.

Frank how do I enter, and which race are we doing, don't want to enter the wrong one, do I.

Cheers

Chung

Hey Chungster!

I spoke to Tom Forbes (the organiser) and he was very helpful. He will accept entries on the day but would prefer to receive postal applications to get an idea of numbers. Jim D has kindly sent me the entry form which I'll pass on to you and Alan. If anyone else wants a copy, just let me know.

The support race is about 40 minutes long, based on 5 laps. Tom says he expects there to be a crowd in excess of 10,000 on the day as there's various events planned in and around the Green. :shock:

Looks like being a cracker!!

Frank.

• Committee

Absolutely fine, Dougie

Two minor points for dopers:

Get a quick blast of plasma pre dope test to get your haematocrit below the level of suspicion. (Simple dilution, folks)

Don't use someone else's blood for transfusion unless you are a complete numpty and a member of Astana.

Finally, if anyone from the GMC, WADA or SCU is reading this, these are completely fictional suggestions based on hypothetical situations and JWCC is certainly not a hotbed of doped uber athletes winning every competition they enter. ( I got the last bit right anyway)

Bring on the crit, the ladies and juniors will tremble at our presence.

A

• Committee

Hi Jim

I'm filling in my entry form now.

Two points:

Is it really only five laps over forty minutes? I thought crits would have more, shorter laps.

Can we meaningfully work as a team or should we just hang on like grim death and try to enjoy it?

I'll be out with Braehead bunch on tuesdays and maybe renfrew bunch on thursdays if anyone wants to meet up and get some sprinting going in the next three weeks.

Email/PM me with tactics please, if you have any, or I'll meet you at the above and have a blast.

regards

Alan

Guest Jim Daly

Alan

Having a go with the Renfra Bunch is a good idea for anyone building race fitness. If you can work at the front all the way round and win the sprint up the Georgetown, consider entering the elite race! The 2-(or more)-up ttt's starting soon will be useful, as well. Oh, and practice sprinting out of 90 degree corners.

The mens champs race is easy to predict. It's difficult to know how the support race will go. 2, or 3, bunches could form at different speeds.

Jim

Exerpt from Braveheart :

"... there will be:

A youths race - 20-30 mins (inc a few laps at end)

A support race - 40-50mins (inc a few laps at end)

Glasgow GP (Scottish Crit Champs) 1hr plus 5 laps

The circuit will be completely closed off by barriers and is 1.5kms long. We are using the same podium as the ToB for our winners and we will have winners jersey's and trophies for all events. Riders will also have 'goody bags' to take away as well as special race numbers all provided by the ToB.

Entries to: Tom Forbes

13 Millersneuk Drive

Lenzie

Glasgow

G66 5JF

Telephone: 0141-775-9189 mobile: 07932573328

e-mail: [email protected]

Championship event: Regional C+, E,1, 2, 3, 4, J £10

Support race: Regional C+, W, J, 4 £10

details about entering the youths race will be posted shortly and that there will also be a secure area for riders who wish to leave their bikes to watch the other crits and ToB. Ah the excitement........"

Alan ,

Im not a keen rider for Crits as they require explosive pedal recs out of corners as you can imagine and its a kind of skill/Art on its own right.

Jim Cusick has been coaching Kerry for a good while now and took her round the Crit circuit in the INchinnan Industrial est to work on her Cornering.

Might be an idea for any one unsure to give that a go could help you in the technique??

Ask Kerry herself she has improved loads :grin: Top Athlete's for you there i think 8-)

Rapid Cadance etc...

I did one Crit in INgleston and got the doin of a lifetime but you only improve by getting doins and keep on going :grin:

Good luck Guys....

Renfrew bunch ideal for close contact riding very fast keeps your witts about you ;-)

• Committee

Good hints from Stevie and Jim. There is a lot of real tactical stuff to learn.

If you are entering the crit and would like to work as a JW team then please PM me. If you would like to share your private email address (with other JW only) then let me know and I'll start a little mailing list for "tactical advice". (ie recommended pubs in the Merchant City).

It would look great to have half a dozen in club kit at the finish of the Tour of Britain. At least we could try to hang on for a couple of laps in the crit and then watch the real racing.

Braehead bunch picking up the pace tonight. 30mph+ along Westferry, only shared among six of us by the end. Top marks to Jamie on a mountain bike (!) on his first big bunch ride. Lasted until Bishopton, hope you got home safely.

Alan

• Committee

Right, that's at least six people who may or may not possibly consider perhaps doing the crit.

I got stuffed by the grown ups in the Renfrew bunch last night and will have to severely downgrade my already low expectations of performance.

May I suggest folk just turn up on the day and enjoy the atmosphere. See you there.

A

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee

I have received confirmation of entry with a request from Mr Forbes for a big turnout from JWCC. Those I have dicsussed with please come along and join in. You know who you are.

I had to guess the entry fee which appears to be £10 with an extra £5 day licence if not already a SCU licence holder. Works out about £5 for every minute of racing....