Anyone for Alpe d'Huez

Shazy

On the 21st of July 2004, millions of fans will watch on television the top cyclists in the world do battle against the clock and against the gradient of Alpe d'Heuz.

The lucky few will be there - on the road - watching them - experiencing the atmosphere. And you could be one of them.

More details to follow...... :arrow:

• 3 weeks later...

The Chalet at Alpe d'heuz is booked from Sat 18th July until Sat 24th July. The accomidation will cost ~£100 per person for the week (based on 5 people, however chalet sleeps upto 12, so the more the cheaper!).

The chalet is situated on the course about 500m from the finish line - there are 5 bedrooms (most en suite), two 'lounge' areas, a dining area, a kitchen and a balcony; there is also a sauna (which comes in handy as it snowed the last time we were at the tour!).

There are several options for travel. It's possible to hire a minibus (~£750 for 10 days + petrol) or a couple of cars go down, with those making a two week holiday of the Tour joining us at the chalet.

The two main stages are 20 July - stage finish at Villard de lans (travel to by car) and 21 July Bourg d'Oisans to L'Alpe d'Heuz (walk - ride - stagger!). It's also close enough to ride climbs like - Les 2 Alpes, Galibier, Telegraph, etc. (not all recomended on the same day!) We could also have a club TT up Alpe d'Heuz- I'm out to improve my pb of 2hrs 15 mins.

If anyones interested, please email me (I already have a few interested) or I'll be down at the c/rooms on Tuesdays (I'll be the one with the red puffy face from circuits! :oops::oops: ). I will arrange an informal meeting (i.e. in the pub) early next year to finalise details.

Shazy

:shock:

I'm loosing count slightly :? - but hey, that's OK 8) , as most names are really notes of interest and/or possibles!

Might bring the whole pub night forward - It's about time we had a club night oot anyway and I am supposed to be the social sec. for the club :roll:

I think I feel a new topic coming on..... :twisted:

Shaz,this trip looks awfy popular.Spoke to Brian Smith tonight at coaching and confirmed his intention to come along,but as he is so busy just now doesnt get time to reply to you.Please include him along wi' myself,Stevie Blom and Martin Mullholland.I agree it would be a good idea to get together soon to discuss and maybe get deposits from folk so as your not let down.Cheers,Dougie. :wink:

MY GAAAAAAD THIS IS GONNA BE SOMETHING ELSE, I CANT WAIT TILL JULY IM HEADING OOR THE NOW!

HAS THERE EVER BEEN A TIME TRIAL ON ALPE DUEZ BEFORE DURING THE TOUR DE FRANCE?????? I DONT THINK SO --- THIS COULD BE A DECIDER ON WHO WILL WIN THE TOUR!

GET NAMES DOON THE MORE THE BETTER I HEARD TO DAY MY FELLOW

DUTCHMAN 90 FT TALL CHRISTIAN IS GOING TOO........

WE WILL BE OUT WITH DUTCH FLAGS WRAPPED ABOOT OOR COUPONS.

EVEN BETTER MR BRIAN SMITH IS GOING , I WAS TALKING TO LES MUIR ABOUT IT AND HE IS THINKING ABOUT IT.

JOHAN.

• 5 months later...

hi guys,

there are four of us motoring over to stay one week in La Grave which is just up the road frm alp dhuez, only two bikies ,(wifes are being dragged along) we are going from 17th july till 24rd july. perhaps their wiil be a spare wheel to hang onto when we attempt the "climb" either before or after the time trial.

jim montgomery (oban)

brian reffin (oban)

• 1 month later...

dougie,

got the alp duez address yet ? :smashHello, beer !! as we want to know where the bacon and eggs (and including tattie scones are to be delivered)

we are at "la maison theopile" in the village of "le chazelet" UP!! from La Grave which looks like a nice run for you guys, my wife will have plenty of e.p.o for revival.

jim monty

• 2023 Subscriptions

Now we can see why Lance is nipping Sheryl Crow : from Cyclingnews.com

There's a time to beat! ;-)

Blending in with the media mosh today at her significant other Lance Armstrong's pre-Tour de France press conference, rock star Sheryl Crow confirmed to Cyclingnews that her current passion for cycling is paying off with performance.

"Yes, it's true", Crow told us when we asked her to confirm the rumour that her time up l'Alpe d'Huez was 90 minutes from Bourg d'Oisans to the summit aboard her Trek Madone.

I will look for an address for Chalet Josephine, however it's marked by a 500m to go sign, well on the day of the tour anyway!

Alan has called the travel company and has confirmed the booking details etc. and he will post the details soon.

In the mean time if anyone wants to see what they are letting them selves in for go to http://www.alpedhuez.com and check out the web cam - It looks like it's raining today!! :-?

Shazy

Good News Oh ya dancer ! received final confirmation for the Chalet

Bad News :-( I've spoken to the holiday company, they have confirmed that we need to supply towels and bedding.

I don't have an address for the Chalet but it is on the right hand side of the road half way between the roundabout (the only downhill section of the climb) and the final bend up to the finish line.

We'll be there mid afternoon on the Saturday, if anybody needs directions, my mobile number is 0777 9712676

If I don't see you before, see you all in France.

Alan