We came,We saw,and We nearly conquered!! Part 1.

Dougie Da Rosa

After weeks of confusion,deliberation and polite discussion(disagreement!)9 hardy souls made it onto the ferry for Arran at 9.30 on saturday.The day began with a 7.30 departure from the Bird.We were joined on the ride by Ironman Crombie who obviously had been kicked out of bed because no-one in their right mind would be out at that time in late October.Once of the ferry we dropped our bags at hotel and set off round island.Before we began to climb the Boguillie the rain started but undettered we battled on and at times it was quite painfull on the face,not that Darryl noticed as he smoothly clicked the gears and turned the pedals until I shouted first to top buys the first round!that soon put paid to his heroics.Alongside him Scott,Mark and Ian moved ever closer to the top,followed by Martin,myself,Craig and Harry who just slid(quite literally)off the back.We waited at the top for Harry who on arrival smiled and then proceeded to give us a lesson in descending the Demon Way!.Next stop was Catacol bay for lunch which was well earned due to rain and mileage covered since brekkie.Soup and sandwiches were order of the day washed down with some alchohol which I do not recommend when riding a bike uphill later.After this we made great pace around island with everyone working their wet socks off at the thought of 'more drrrrrink'at the hotel.The climbs out of Whiting Bay and Lamlash were particularly unpleasant but the style of this bunch had to be admired for their teamwork,so much so that Im sure Stevie was asked by the Hen Party in Macks Bar if we were Pro's when actually I think half of them could well have been!! if you know what I mean?.We had grand food that night at great prices washed down with Arran Blondes and Arran Darks(that Hen Party again you ask!).We haeded back to the hotel for the Australian theme night which was awesome,the place was bouncing,the drink was flowing and we were in awe at some of the sights which our bleary eyes had to contend with.Ithink last to bed was Martin as he spent so much on booze he couldn't afford his room,or make it out next morning on his bike.He used the excuse of a cold but he seemed alright earlier in the day skipping up those hills,eh Martin?As for Stevie B he was drinking and smoking like a beagle in a laboratory so no surprise he stayed in too,he said it was to watch some game on the telly played by men with odd shaped balls!! continued.....

So 7 of us headed out on a lovely crisp morning to climb the Ross and then back over the String.Up out of Brodick or as Harry's story ends (Braw-Dick)ask him yourself,Harry and I at the front controlling the pace with everyone else sitting proud we must have looked like an Alky Anonymous day out on bikes.We turned onto the Ross and upwards,OH MY GOD that hurt and it showed on the faces and the speed at which we slowed had to be seen to be believed,that's what a night on the bevvy and a big brekkie do to you,not to mention the 90 miles the previous day.Darryl and Scott took off followed by Mark and Ian,Craig,myself and Harry.Mark kindly dropped back to give Craig and I a wheel,cheers man.I got a wee breather then strangely caught Ian who had dropped his Oakley nose piece trying to take off his specs and couldn't get clipped back in again.We met the fast two at the top and regrouped to decide route as time was not on our side for ferry times.We decided to head back down and head round coast before going back to hotel.On the climb out of Lamlash I found a lovely pair of Oakley glasses which I was well chuffed with until Ian claims them as his in cafe,they had fallen out his pocket going uphill,that's why I let him go in front you see!!Back at hotel we discover I have made dog's dinner of ferry time and have to wait for next boat so we just had to go to sauna,steamroom and pool to kill time while dreaming of long days on bikes.We caught the 2 o'clock ferry back and within an hour and a half of leaving Ardrossan everyone was home safe and sound,and tired.We covered 145 miles at the weekend ate and drank a load had many laughs and general opinion was......When are we coming back? Watch this space folks!! Special thanks to..Ironman for your company on saturday and for towing us to boat,Martin for taking our bags in your car,our respective partners for allowing us away and to all the attendees for a blast. Apologies to Mrs M and family for not returning Martin on time and to Stevie's mum for not returning her boy in the health in which he left you!! Thanks also to you for taking the time to read this wee story,but believe me when I say.......YOU DIDNAE HALF MISS YERSEL'

well well well folks a real bike ride this was and well worth me staying in on a friday night to start early saturday morning.

ive heard many storys about arran the scenery , beer , roads and just the point of being on the island.

as for me it was my 1st ever time and what a time i had!!!!!

it lived up to all the expectations and to top things off we stayed the night in a lovely posh hotel , mind you for 35 bux it was a bargain so i think the youthhostel can be given a miss in the future.

the run round the island for me was very hard indeed and not having any mud guards i must appologise now and will not make that mistake in the future.

we all stayed as a bunch no 1 got dropped untill the last 5-8 miles from brodick as my self and martin began to feel the mighty knock.

bikes back ino the hotel nicely locked up and its time to RELAX.

most of us went for a sauna and a swim to shake of any muscular PAIN.

by 1730 every1 was at the bar having a well deserved pint .

after shifting 3 or 4 at the barr we walked doon the rd to a bar for some food which i had been looking forward to since struggling up that last col .....

by the time the food was served i had a coupe more beers and i must say the BEER goggles had arrived.

back to the hotel to join in at the disco which was an ausie theme night .......an ausie theme night with no ausie music still cant work that 1 out.

roughly about 2230 and the drink was going down the hatch and i was begging for a smoke , for me a former full time smoker its hard to stop whislt drinking - wish i could stop but to be honest normally i would have 10 on a night out but this night i had only the 5.....so its a start.

hit the sack at midnight sharing the room with martin and lee van cleef aka as retro ian manson.(sorry ian had to be done)

up the next morning for some breakfast which for me contained 17 rolls and bacon!! great stuff this eat as much as you like.

the rest of the bunch got a few more miles in whislt me and martin decided to relax in the sauna.

what a weekend and hope we can all do the same again sometime.

cheers to all who was oot

special thanks to dougie da rosa da king for the organisation required for that hotel

stevie b.

wooo wooo.. does my photo scare yi? not half as scary as those hen party women in Mac's bar eh guys? :lol: I agree with what Stevie and Dougie said.. a great weekend with a healthy BALANCE of cycling and eating and drinking anything that wasnt nailed down. The leisure centre was fab.. first time I've appreciated a foot spa! Great result Dougie.

SD

Just like to add my brief sentiments as well,

Dougie,, canny read a timetable but what a place you picked mate and for retrieving at least half my specs ,, many thanks. And 43mph doon the Ross Rd,,,,,,,,,,, yah nutter.

Scott,, you seemed hesitant to recommend the eatery on Sat night but it was ace.

Stevie, thanks for not snoring though quite how you managed it i dont know.

Martin, thanks for the transport to Ardrossan and back, much appreciated.

To the other peloton members well done on a great club event particularly Darryl who could doubtless have completed the planned Sunday run himself and still beat everyome back but who opted to stay with the rest of the group.

Brilliant weekend, great company, testing rides.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Highly enjoyable weekend leaving us all keen to do more of that sort of thing.

Hope someone managed to write down Martin's suggestions for future social events as they all sounded great to me, possibly due to the combination of being under the influence with the prospect of other beer-related social activities to come. :P:P

Let's make it an annual event eh?

cheers

Darryl :D

P.S. great report Dougie

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hope someone managed to write down Martin's suggestions for future social events as they all sounded great to me, possibly due to the combination of being under the influence with the prospect of other beer-related social activities to come. :P:P

I'm sure I remember som e of the ideas we had. If I go and drink another six pints it'll all come back to me - :mrgreen: - it's just that typing a message is difficult then.

I'll post some ideas, just getting details of the glen tress stuff

m :oops: