Track league committee

• 2023 Subscriptions

These are not official minutes, official policy or anything other than personal views and feedback after attending the track league committee last night as a 'rider representative'. Basically i had filled in a form to make a couple of suggestions for the organisers (longer races and more training opportunities)  however i was the only one in B group that responded so ended up being asked to attend the meeting which i was happy to do. It was pretty much last minute so i didnt have the opportunity to ask what people wanted me to bring up.

The main race format issue that was raised was that longer races would be appreciated - it might not happen next week but the week after they will try this taking out the first short scratch race from the programme and adding the time saved to add extra laps onto the points race.

Another issue that came up was how points are being awarded - if you didnt already know points are being given from 1st place down to last - on the positive side this means more riders have something to go for but on the other hand points being available so far down the field is having an impact on the racing (i can only speak from experience in B group but the racing has been different so far this autumn compared to previous blocks). There is also a disparity with the points race compared to the other races. Take for example this week - i was eliminated about half way through the devil that usually leads to more points being awarded than the riders who are 2nd and 3rd in the points race and often more than the winner too. No changes in this at the moment.

There will be a rider survey taken in a few weeks time asking regulars (and also those that have not been attending) about the content of the racing, what they would like to see and so on.

Commissaires would like numbers to be pinned a little higher and more to the side as they are difficult to see at the moment. In the future we might be getting issued with a number at the start of the racing block and you keep that for the rest of the block. If you lose it then you need to pay for a replacement.

Couple of notes for the coming weeks and months - before the Scottish Madison championship on the 19th December they are hoping to have a practice Madison session before this, time and date to be confirmed. On the day of the championship there will be free track time afterwards so they are hoping to have a couple of hours available to have coach led training/racing (not Madison training more like scratch and points) for those that aren't racing in the champs. The coach led session about a month ago was really popular with those that attended but for it to happen again in the future it needs the numbers to support it because track time isnt cheap and if Scottish Cycling are making a loss on it then its not going to be sustainable.

For 2016 they are looking into the possibility of having an occassional Saturday race - this may be along the lines of an open event out with the usual league. Dont know the format yet but perhaps scored like an omnium but without the timed events and a keirin added as a sprint race. Again it goes back to the cost of track hire  - it starts getting either expensive or difficult to fit in things like pursuits because of how much time they take up. As an open event there could possibly even be BC points available.

Like i said before these are just some personal thoughts. The organisers, commissaires and volunteers all put alot of work in and give up their free time to make things run smoothly and they are actively seeking rider feedback to improve things, so if you have any ideas to make their job easier or anything you want to see happen in terms of racing (or any issues you have with the current programme) then you can get one of us to raise it at the next meeting or you will be able to so in the rider survey when it comes out.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done for stepping up Ian.

All in favour of longer races at all levels, and I would prefer to see the interval removed to allow that to happen, although I guess they would need more Coms to allow that to happen. I would also like to see the running order mixed up a bit more, instead of always having the C's on last. In the 4 weeks I've been this season, the C's have been on last 3 times, I can understand the youths getting away first, as they've got school the next day, but many of the youths also run in A, B and C groups. Some parity is required in this area. For the record, racing against kids who are young enough to be my grandchildren is an education and a privilege. For me. Just mix it up a bit.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jan

I am more likely to ride the C group however the duration of the races are far too short which makes it not very good value for money,

Hopefully some longer races in a couple of weeks.  When the survey comes out put on it you want longer races, the more that say thats what they want then hopefully the more chance of it happening.

Well done for stepping up Ian.

All in favour of longer races at all levels, and I would prefer to see the interval removed to allow that to happen, although I guess they would need more Coms to allow that to happen. I would also like to see the running order mixed up a bit more, instead of always having the C's on last. In the 4 weeks I've been this season, the C's have been on last 3 times, I can understand the youths getting away first, as they've got school the next day, but many of the youths also run in A, B and C groups. Some parity is required in this area. For the record, racing against kids who are young enough to be my grandchildren is an education and a privilege. For me. Just mix it up a bit.

You guessed right about needing more coms to allow it to happen - apparently there used to be enough to rotate the jobs if one needed a break while the racing continued but the numbers mean they cant do that anymore. 

The A,B and C groups are on rotation for who finishes last but the schedule that was raced last week was out of sync (should have been the A group sprinting, but it was the youths). Dont think C will be last this Wednesday.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jan

Well done you attending this. When the questionnaire comes out I will be going along the lines of fewer but longer races. TBH I am quite happy the way it is as well with 4 races as I quite enjoy the short sharp stuff.

I would ask to retain the devil in any new format just because it's something different and is always a high adrenaline affair.

I think it is totally fair to rotate the final race not including the youths.

:)