200km Audax - More Passes than Mastermind - 28th Mar 2015

• 1 month later...

Started out with Campell from Symington (nr Biggar) at 08:00 on Sat in high winds and rain. This was the theme for the day, although the lesser spotted sun did make an appearance in the afternoon.

Leg 1 took us Southwest over the Crawick pass to Sanquhar. I did suck wheels for most of this after I struggled on my first 206km Audax a couple of weeks ago. Campbell did take a fair share of the spells at the front.

Leg 2 headed North East to Crawford via the Mennock pass and Scotland's highest village Wanlockhead.

Fuelled by my new energy food (bagels with jam, peanut butter and banana) I was feeling good, until we turned South West into a vicious head wind for a 30km leg 3 to head over the Dalveen pass to Thornhill. This section included the last 15 miles of the Drumlanrig sportive route. For those familiar with this, I was pedalling down the descent in my small chainring at about 12mph at times! Thanks to Campbell for doing more than his fair share at the front of our two up.

Thornhill brought a welcome lunch stop before heading South East through the scenic Ae forest. The waterproofs came off in this leg 4, but the wind was relentless.

Leg 5 was a straight North from Lochmaben to Moffat and a refuel for Campbell in the chippy.

About a hundred miles in the legs at this point and the Devil's Beeftub climb out of Moffat awaiting us for the return to Symington. Climb was brutal. Long, long, long. Kept shifting to lower gears that didn't exist! Campbell spun up with his triple...cause for thought....

Despite the weather, great day on the bike and great company. Completed in around 9 hours in the saddle (I think) with about 130miles on the clock. A welcome bowl of soup with coffee and cake at the end sealed a great day.

• Life Members

Well done, Alan & Campbell!

Definitely a tough day indeed, I was talking to Big Ronnie today & even he avoided this one :-) but to be fair he did ride it last week with the organiser to recce the whole route :-)

I've got something long-ish planned for next Sunday just for you :-)

Hope to see you then!

Cheers

Chung