Ayr-Newton Stewart Sun 13th July

Hi Folks

in previous years some of us have done an "awayday" run in South Ayrshire and Galloway. We did it in 2010/2011/2012. Unfortunately not last year as I never got around to organising it for various reasons. I'm hoping to do it again this year on 13th July.

Route details:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1146451

...it's 97 miles on mostly very quiet roads, with a few testing climbs. The lunch stop is at the Cree Inn, Newton Stewart. Previously we used to also have a late-afternoon cake stop in Barr but sadly the people of the village no longer do their "High Tea" thing in the village hall on Sundays. We will probably still stop in Barr as it has nice clean toilets and is a good place to fill your bottles, but no cake this time.

Directions to start:

Heading down A77 past Ayr - go thru the roundabout signposted A713, then under a railway bridge, and then about half a mile after that you come to a wee staggered crossroads. The road on the left is signposted Corton, the one on the right is Alloway. Turn right and that's you in Doonholm Road (heading into Ayr, towards Alloway). Bear right at the next roundabout and you will shortly come to Burns Cottage. When you get to Burns Cottage turn left, head down the road a couple of hundred yards and you will see public parking spaces on the left hand side of the road (opposite the big houses). When we have parked and unloaded our bikes I suggest we gather in the car park behind Burns Cottage as it's a nice open space away from the road.

Rules of the road:

Riding in a compact group, at the pace of the slowest rider, regrouping at the top of hills etc. Standard club run stuff.

Garmin stats from the 2012 run: http://connect.garmi...ivity/192419816

Start time will be 0900, expected finish time is about 1730.

Post here if interested

Thanks

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately real life has got in the way (again). I now need to be home by about 4pm at the latest so won't have time to do the full Ayr-Newton Stewart run (with the lunch-stop etc).

However - I'm planning to do the shorter "Ayrshire Alps" run which Paul McDonald posted recently - so will post something about that in the Club Runs forum and see if anybody wants to come along.