WOSCA GGCC 10th July Part 2

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Best weather possible for racing maybe even a bit hot!!

4 of us started out and the race was relatively sedate in that there were spells of relatively easy riding. All 4 JWCC well placed going into 2nd and final time up dams. Then it got a bit stretchy. Next time I (was able to) look around was at finish where I saw Hugh doing very well on the uphill finish probably in top 10, me in top 20 and Andy finishing in bunch a few places back. Don't know what happened to Colin.

On a personal note I always find the first race after holidays an unpleasant experience and this was no different with sore legs from the off, so looking on the bright side I am very glad it is out the way.

Nothing Arran won't sort out on Sunday :)

Improvement from Saturday for me was managing to conserve energy on the first lap and felt much better on the dams climb and the clunch, where I was holding good position. On the 2nd lap I made the mistake of lurking near the back to avoid the headwind but got a bit boxed in with the bunch stringing out a bit. Realised I was too far back and tried to gradually make my way through the bunch. There was not enough space so had to go on the right. In hindsight I wold have been better to stick where I was as when I got into the wind I realised I was using up too much energy. Even had to go off the front at one point as no room to get in. Then had the misfortune to make another error by selecting the wrong gear at the corner into the 'B' road and just couldn't accelerate out of the corner. Again forced into the red from which I couldn't recover. When I hit the dams climb the second time I had burned too many matches and tried in vain to get forward but realised it was too late. A lesson in the need to not end up doing more than you have to. Definitely making progress and looking forward to a wee holiday now before back racing at end of month.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Fantastic nights racing with all Joansin' making a very strong showing throughout topped of with Hugh doing 1st Junior and 3rd Cat 4. Paul was on his winter bike looking menacing. Colin really nicely placed especially on initial climbs. Hugh was well placed throughout even getting into a late breakaway. As Paul said race started sedately and a breakaway went early. I think their max gap on the bunch was around 40 seconds. I was well pleased with positioning on climbs in lap 1 and managed a bit of rest back on A77. Found myself sitting off the front on the A77 as we were starting to track a couple of stragglers off the breakaway. Things were starting to get lively towards Newton Mearns then before the left turn there was a blistering attack with Paul and Hugh speeding by. I hung on in a very stretched bunch and by the time we reached the bottom of the Dams climb things were beginning to feel unpleasant and my position was fairly poor. Managed to hang on to the top and hid for the first part of the descent to the Clunch. Starting moving up again but only half way so not well positioned. By this time the pace was ramping up to catch the breakaway and I was hanging on. Breakaway were caught just before A77 I think. Back on A77 pace slowed down and turning back towards Eaglesham I was sitting on Paul's wheel and could see Hugh looking very comfortable. Last 100 metres sprint broke out and off Hugh and Paul went. They were splendid! My legs were gubbed but I was over the moon with a second bunch finish.

Three races. Two bunch finishes. One week. Very satisfied!

Andy

Guest HughMcGrade

Good night last night. It wasn't too fast on either of the laps so I was fairly successful in staying near the front while conserving some energy for the finish. I finished 8th overall which, as Paul said, was 1st junior and 3rd cat 4. It was nice to get some prizes.

Thanks again for the lift home Andy.