Main Bunch 26 May

Guest EPCC

• 2023 Subscriptions

A different route recce'd yesterday and one that we should consider doing again.

A party of 6 Darryl, Ginty, Chung, Campbell John and myself set out from Miller Street, up the Bowfield and followed the usual route to Fenwick and ove to the start of the Moscow circuit. Darryl and Ginty baled here due to time constraints, leaving 4 to continue down into Galston. Took the A71 up through Darvel and on to Strathhaven for a cafe stop. Good shout Chung - one to add to the list. We then headed out of Strathaven towards East Kilbride through Chapleton before making a left hander to take a series of country lanes back towards Eaglesham, the A77 and back to Johnstone.

I baled en route to Eaglesham and headed for Jackton and home. A pretty good morning in the saddle on some good rolling roads, the pick of which has got to be the 2 miles (approx) of pothole free, smooth, poker straight section of tarmac which we turned onto off the East Kilbride road. Has to be ridden to be believed. I forgot to reset my computer before setting out yesterday but I'm guessing 60-65 miles.

M

Great route. I also admired the climb out of Eaglesham to the moor yesterday with stunning views over wind farm. Would make a nice route back home if returning from Strathaven via Eaglesham.

Andy

• Life Members

There's a really good cafe in the Information/visitor centre in Whitelees Wind Farm which can be a great stop for the runs, but I think its open seasonal though (March-Oct?)

Cheers

Chung

Following on from both Chung and Andy's comments and one or two posted in the thread for last Saturday morning's run. There is a whole network of routes in, around and accessible from the A77. Granted given the height and exposed nature of many of them perhaps not ideal for the winter or the worst the summer can throw at us but worth exploring as alternatives to what could be considered our usual fare.

For the the 30 milers the A77 is one of the cycle-friendliest roads in western Scotland with a cycle route shadowing the main road. Well worth trying it out. Suggest Johnstone - Bowfield - Dunlop - Stewarton - Fenwick - A77 to the Malletshaugh turn then the dams road down into Barrhead and a return to Paisley.

• 2023 Subscriptions

There's a really good cafe in the Information/visitor centre in Whitelees Wind Farm which can be a great stop for the runs, but I think its open seasonal though (March-Oct?)

Cheers

Chung

We stopped at visitor centre yesterday morning. Pretty friendly and nice cafe too!

So a great route could be Bowfield, Stewarton, Strathaven, drumclog circuit, Eaglesham, visitor centre then home via Clunch or A77....

Andy