Sun 9th Sep - Moffat century

Hi Folks

I've got an all-day pass for Sun 9th Sep and I'm going to do a wee excursion in the Borders. Here is the plan should anyone wish to join me:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1612711

...it's 100 miles, starting and finishing at Moffat. (In words: Lockerbie via the "old" A74, Langholm, Eskdalemuir, Yarrow, Meggethead/Talla, Devils Beeftub, Moffat.) It is a route best described as "rolling", no mental hills (we're approaching Meggethead from the East rather than the "challenging" Western approach). Cafe stop in Eskdalemuir @ 48 miles.

I suggest we meet in Moffat outside the Town Hall (which is roughly opposite the Balmoral Hotel) at 0815 for an 0830 start. Usual club run rules apply. Average speed likely to be around 14mph (based on Garmin stats from the Ayr-Newton Stewart ride back in June).

Below I've pasted in a couple of photos I took last time I rode on some of these roads. If you are interested please respond on this thread. NB this is obviously weather-dependent - I'll make a go/no-go decision on Sat 8th Sep no later than midday and update this thread at that time.

Thanks

Tony

[attachment=0]DSC01425_small.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSC01410_small.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]DSC01407.JPG[/attachment]

Hi Tony - a fine route for sure!

Eskdalemuir has a fine secluded bleakness to it and the stretch from St Mary's Loch to Tweedsmuir is one of my favourite Scottish Roads, the view from the bridge at the top over Talla is often breathtaking!

Really sorry we won't be able to join in this time as we are already committed and away that week-end!

Hope the weather smiles upon you!

Iain & Mary

• Life Members

Hello Tony,

It turns out that the Pedal for Scotland is on the same Sunday & my wee boy wants to do the ride.

So, I disappointingly have to withdraw my participation in your organised ride.

Sorry about that & hope weather is magnificent for you on the day. Have a good one!

Cheers

Chung

No worries Chung. I knew this would clash with PFS when I posted it, but September is quite a busy month, with the Rothesay weekend on the 15th/16th and the "Big Club Run" on the 23rd.

Next year I will get my finger out and schedule this for earlier in the year. Enjoy Pedal for Scotland...

Car-pooling details for the Johnstone/Paisley contingent:

I'm giving John a lift down but can take one more person plus bike (as long as you don't mind your bike being carried on a roof-rack).

I think BillT and Ken are likely to be travelling down together but not sure.

Forecast for Eskdalemuir looking quite good so far:

[attachment=0]forecast.jpg[/attachment]

Looks like we might get a bit wet towards the end of the run but generally OK. There are a couple of options to shorten the ride if the weather closes in earlier than the forecast suggests. I'd say it's a goer - see you at 0815 tomorrow.

My mobile number is 07896-153853 if you need to text/phone me in the morning

Thanks

Tony

A bit more hilly than I remember but good roads, some long climbs and a couple of fantastic descents.

Roll call:

• me
    JohnC
    Bill Thomson
    Ken Mac
    Alan Broadfoot
    Chris (Alan's mate)
    Michael (Alan's mate)
    Steve McFarlane (Paisley Velo)
    "Fereneze" John (Paisley Velo)

Headwind for the last 30 miles and a soaking right at the end but a good day out nevertheless 8-)

Hi Tony

Stevie, and I would like to thank you and the other guys for a great day out.

It was good to meet up with you again. A pity the weather turned a bit nasty near the end, however that's Scotland Lights on at PM in early September.

The café stop was something different, worth a visit on its own.

Thanks again.

John.