Sandy Wallece Vets Race

Guest EPCC

Sort of good bad day for me today feeling ok sat just behind mark for a couple of laps then disaster on the only climb of note a car came down forcing the bunch to narrow up a bit as I was in the middle a guy lost his pedal bang into somebody else who the stopped right in front of me

End result was a remount in far to big a gear all I could do was swear as the bunch tore of pass the start rode solo picking up lone riders unroll I found a group of about 5 sat in with them till the end crossed the line a lap down

But great to see so many starters

Charlie once your meds are sorted you will be flying

Me I need to be a more aggressive rider Kinross next then an apr then break no bike training

Well done guys, unlucky Billy, sure you would have been up there without the mishap.

Let me know when you guys stop training so I can come back out without getting too much of a kicking. :-P

Seems like a long time ago now and I have tried to post a comment on a number occasions but have failed due to a dodgy internet connection.

Anyhooo, only my second road race, as opposed to an APR and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair. All things considered a good day in the saddle for me. Never felt out of my depth and was in the main bunch with Davie B and Paul for the whole distance. Did a ill advised turn on the front mid race which I duly paid for in the ensuing lap. Note to self - sit on a wheel at all times!!!! But I recover fairly quickly and got myself back in the mix.

Generally I felt the pace was on a par with a Thursday night and thus managable albeit it was maintained for a longer distance. I took the first few laps towards the rear of the bunch just to settle into the race but found my feet soon after and was able to venture forward through the bunch.

Was going reasonable well on the last lap but I got myself boxed in before the last left hander and couldn't find a way to jump onto Paul's wheel which was my intent, and despite Paul telling me not to go backwards I could only watch as a host of guys went past me on the right. The result was that I went from being in the first 10 or so places to about 25-30th in jig time.

Finished in what could be loosely called a bunch given it was well spread due to the nature of the road. The short sharp incline immediately before the home straight meant if you weren't at the front you weren't going to feature in the sprint. On the hill you were only as good as the guy in front of you, as Davie found to his cost, as did Maj. Mishap.

Good to see Iain Couttie break his duck and new lungs please for M'Learned Friend. All in all a fine way to spend a Sunday afternoon..... and it stayed dry.

M