Strathclyde Park

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

An excellent day for racing - and a belter of a course. Mud, mud, hills and ditches !

Can only comment on the vets race as I arrived after the youngsters races, there were 118 starters and a hard slog ensued. Grave misfortune for Alan who had passed me mid race with his pink tooter tooting, but very close to the end his rear mech hanger snapped under the mud loading on the rear mech (hope he manages to get a new one quickly and cheaply). Had he ran round to the line he would probably have beat me but .... he didn't - how sad too bad :grin: Splendid rides from Mike, James and Martin who were all in the suffer fest as well.

No idea where I or anyone else finished - however we can always study the fully comprehensive lap times, wind direction, phase of the moon etc when the results are posted

Another lesson learned for me today - don't treat the race like a 5 minute max effort - after going off a tad hard I paid for it later

definetly plan to do national - not too sure about Meadowhill

Oh ya dancer !

• Committee

Yup. Another real mud fest Paul. Photos to follow, just as soon as I've ordered a new hanger, rd AND chain :-(

beautiful weather and scenery today, cannot believe it is November.

About ten of the seniors had a spare bike in the pits, good idea.

I am almost at the stage of taking my MTB as a spare and asking Kenny or David to act as support crew, and return them the favour in their race.

Let's collaborate at Auchentoshan guys.

Alan

Well done to all the Wheelers who raced today, it was a battle of attrition not for the faint of heart. I was glad, merely to make it round. I had elected to stop every lap to remove the mud build up from my chainset and particularly at my rear mech as I could feel it jumping, ready to go bang if I were to apply too much force. No big deal as I finished way down. I wasn't last but couldn't have been far off it. The 'Bombhole' had become at least two feet deep by the time we encountered it. Not sure where David finished, it may well have been much further up from me but I didnt see him at all after the gun.

I must have seen at least five mechs gone in the senior race. I must admit Id prefer the frosty cold hard pack to the mud. It is a bit of a nightmare especially when you don't have the luxury of a bike change every lap!

It was a début for my new bike, which performed very well. Unlike my legs/lungs which felt distinctly second hand. I was never happier to hear the bell. :lol:

I wont make Auchentoshan as I am only a learner licence holder (was purchased for TT'S) as such I am unable to take part. With that in mind Id be happy to pit crew for you Alan, it seems the milder weather will be with us for a while yet, more mud!

Ill be there for East Lothian though and I'm of a mind to make it to Mull too.

Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sunshine in Lanarkshire shock! Great fun at the EKCX and well done indeed to the JWCC and Jets. Riders in every race bar the ladies and juniors (come on!) and some decent results.

After consulting my tea leaves (and the results now up at scx) I can now announce 23rd for Paul, 39 for Mike F (get you next time), 43 for me, 54 and 1/2 for McLean, and 64for James.

Couldn't stay for the seniors race, so didn't get to see Kenny stopping to valet his bike each lap ( ;-) ) and still make 24th overall. You need a pit crew!

A good crowd of youths also performed well. In the youth race we had Lewis M 8th u14 (8th overall) & Danny 9th u14 (25th). In u12's Hamish got 4th u10 (8th), Cameron H 6th u10 (13th), Lewis S 13th u10 (23) and Katrina 4th u12f (28).

Won't be at Meadowmill (did I mention I was going to Ghent?) but looking fwd to Auchentoshan.

M

Hi,

Yes, I agree it was a good days outing on Sunday. There are one or two things that are puzzling me. How come I have so many falls when I go racing! Was I the only one to career off the edge of the gravel track nearly hitting a photographer? :-( I don’t really blame Danny for telling me not to brake, but where did I go wrong? :-? Is it really just a case of looking in the wrong place, i.e. look there and you will go there? I fell 3 times on my first lap!!! :oops: I have decided to change my avatar to one of a jester! Stoooopid!

As the season goes on I feel I am getting fitter, Oh ya dancer ! but I need to enter some more races to keep the momentum going. Are there no more cyclocross races after December? What about MTB races?

Well done to everyone who raced on Sunday.

James

• Committee

Hi James

We need to check your tyre pressures. If you run them too high then that might cause you to skip and slide especially on that gravel track.

If you want winter action then the MTb duathlons at glentress will keep you fit and I think there may be racing for hamish too.

Also if you can find a road bike then there is some great bunch riding going on until the really bad weather comes.

Suggest you ask coach mul for tips.

Alan