Winter tyre advice

AllanC

I know there isn't much difference between our summer and winter seasons but I feel it's getting close to that time where I need a more winter type tyre.

I've been running on my GP4000S over the summer and have been a fair weather cyclist thus far :oops: . But I've decided to try and brave as much winter cycling as the weather permits and could do with some advice / recommendations on a good quality winter tyre?

Thanks

Allan

I have found the skins to be a great tyre, but you MUST make sure they are inflated to the full pressure. As for being a pain to get on I think it just depends on your tyre/rim combination. I can get mine on with my hands only (maybe Billy just needs to man up :-P )

Another good winter tyre is the Bontrager (can't remember the name) and I only changed to the skins as the shop I was in didn't have the bontys. Not the best rolling tyres but bombproof.

Colin Hello, beer !!

Ian, that's the bonty tyres I was thinking about.

As for brake clearance, some adjustment may be needed if you go for wider tyres than you normally use. Some tyres claiming to be 23's may have slightly fatter side walls as well. Youll just need to get them and try. If your tyres flat you will always get it in/out. Just a pain if you fix a flat put the wheel in, pump it up and discover you have pinched it :angryfire

Colin Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Allan,

I don't normally change tyres during the winter and just run Michelin Pro3 or Michelin Krylon Carbon.

In saying that, I did get a set of Continental GP 4-season tyres last spring and for various reasons ended up running them most of the summer (don't ask...). They seem to be really good and certainly a bit grippier on wet and mucky roads. I also got the 25mm, which is a bit more comfy! Only minor complaint was that the back tyre did wear reasonably quickly. (I may actually put them back on this winter, when they would be best, although they don't fit with my race blade mudguards, so would be for dry days only! :-?:-?:-? ).

Cheers,

R

I use Continental GP 4-season tyres 23mm on my work bike all year round and I can count the punctures in one hand for the year and I am doing around 7000 to 8000 miles in and out to work. The only time you tend to get punctures is when they wear thin near the end of there life so its time to change them.

Campbell