Billy Warnock B Race

Guest EPCC

A large team of the finest racer were representing the wheelers today in what could only be said was a damp road race Ben finished the best placed followed by Barry Dave B Me and Charlie

I think the novices are getting better but racing is so much more than making your legs go faster and one day i will learn

My race was to be fair quite easy the first lap pace was on and of but nothing to hard climb the small hill without problems was actually thinking sit in in lap two and atack on the last lap came round to hill on second lap didnt bother changing gear on climb mistake fell off the back and spent a lap and a bit on my own bang goes my plangreat fun though

Richie

yes a bit faster but sitting out of the wind in a big bunch made it a bit easier

the only hard parts is when it slows down and then speeds up but that was more to do with me being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Richie, Billy,

My 1st race and a really good experience. My race startegy was to stay within a couple of bike lengths of Barrie or Ben for as long as possible and hung in till mid-way up the climb on the final lap ended up about 10ft off the back at the top - game over. It could have been a lonely 6 or 7 miles to the finish if I hadn't worked (well) with a chap from Hawick CC to the finish.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104746277

As for race pace the Garmin data for me is above - the consequence of losing the benefit of the bunch is plain to see in the final splits. There are finer race stragetists then me who frequent these boards but as Billy says the issue of "pace" is of less importance than the changes in acceleration out of corners up drags etc (what finally done me in was an acceleration mid-way up the hill as I had been holding station to that point). It would be illogical for the guys in the front to bury themselves on the flat, innnocous sections if wee chubby chaps like me can just "sit-in" and take the tow.

Positioning in the bunch is also of importance, Billy if I am not mistaken I was speaking to you shortly before you got dropped at the back of the bunch, I figured it was not a good place to be at that point so I moved to the front to anticipate the movement.

Also re. your "plan" for a final lap "attack" :lol:

D

DB

Is right Richie it is.all about position I should have moved Up the field before the climb but I didn't why because I am stupid and not able to think race with practice I hope to gain that I also know my weakness is climbing plan for winter is weight management and hill sets .

I think most people who do the Thursday nights have the power for racing but may need to work on hill sets which might be.an option for next year

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done to all racers at Falkirk on Sunday. Started wet and got wetter. The A race was predictably frantic although the s**t didn't really hit until after about 25 miles (as opposed to the normal hectic first 10 miles), thing was, it pretty well remained stuck to the fan for the next 50 miles! I was on a countdown of how many times have we been up the climb as each time involved many minutes in the red zone over the top with bunch splitting and regrouping each time. Anyway, spraggled round to finish with the bunch at which point I rolled over the line near the back accepting the fact I simply could not sprint. I think David got distanced last time over the climb.

Anyway, a very necessary work out to get back into race rythm after a month away from racing. Feeling much better for it now :grin:

As the guys in the B race have mentioned it is critical to sneak up through the bunch to the front if you are on the limit (or beyond the limit :shock: ) up the hill each time. Exact same for me in A race.

till next exciting episode

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done guys. It sounds like a great fun hard day out (apart from the weather of course). :grin:

Happy to join you all for some road race and/or hill training in the next month or two. (I will be back on the road race scene next season, as I'm now starting to miss it!)

Cheers,

R