Advice wanted for cyclo-cross racing

james-maclaren

Hi

I would welcome advice on equipping myself for the cyclo-cross season. Last year, my first season, I used an old heavy GT mountain bike :lol: . This year I would like to use a bike with drop handlebars, so I at least look the part 8-) . Wondering if I can use my Raleigh Aerlite 300 bike with some knobbly tyres. I find these races great fun but in no way am I looking for a place on the podium (not this year anyway!). Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

James

Well.........the Raleigh Aerlite 300 worked out at £120, I think, but I don't expect to get something for that price. The GT Terra mountaiun bike cost me £100 many years ago. Depends what I go for at the end of the day. A lighter mountain bike, or a proper cyclo-cross bike. I think I should be able to find a cyclo-cross bike for about £300 with a bit of searching about. It really is knowing what makes a bike a cyclo-cross bike. Do you know of any articles on the web or otherwise, which has a "buyers guide" for cyclo-cross bikes? Perhaps there is one in Cycling Plus but I have not seen it.

If the Airlite has standard-reach (39-49mm) calipers then there will not be room for CX tyres as Kenny said.

If it has long-reach (47-57mm) calipers with the pads at maximum extension then you should be OK.

(Long-reach calipers are designed for framesets in the winter/audax/fast-touring sector of the market. E.g. my Steve Goff is like this and also some modern framesets like the Kinesis "RaceLight T".)

Try measuring your calipers with a ruler if you're not sure - vertical distance from centre of brake pivot to centre of brake block.

Hi Tony

Well, this is exciting! ;-) . I have measured the callipers from centre of brake block to centre of pivot (vertical measurement), and believe it or not (can hardly believe it myself), the distance is 65mm :lol: . That is without moving the brake blocks. Willie says that he has some tyres that would do the job and would fit them to see if there was clearance. Is that all I need to be concerned about?

Appreciate your help,

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee

Hi James

good to hear you are coming racing this year. I also have some cross tyres you could try out.

"Proper" cross bikes tend not to have standard road brakes because they clog up too easily. cables are often routed along the top tube to avoid mud and they sometimes have a flattish top tube for shouldering but anything will do. Just not road tyres.

A drop bar bike will usually be a lot lighter than an MTB and easier to carry over the hurdles on the umpteemth lap but a lot of good riders still use MTBs. If you will be doing lots of MTB stuff anyway then you might just get a lighter MTB but it may simply not feel Belgian enough.

You could drop a post in the "wanted/for sale" forum or go on braveheart and ask there.

I suspect that your real problem is that you would really like/want/need a nice new MTB and a nice new cross bike and there is really only one perfect solution that I can think of.... welcome to the dark side of bike buying and the long haunted nights of the soul.

See you out there.

Alan

Well it has arrived. Emma and I cycled upto Muirshiel and back this afternoon. The Kona went well :grin: . Not such a good report for Emma's bike unfortunatly. 1 street away and the rear mech wrapped itself round the back wheel. :-(

Just need to get some spd pedals for the Kona. I will probably put it in to Willie Cosh to check it over, especially as it was not packed very well.

Thanks for asking! ;-)

• 1 month later...
Also, that heavy old GT is costing you ten places every race... :grin::grin: Have a word with Aunty Visa.

The pleasure of using a nice bike far outweighs the pain of paying.

A

Well Alan, looks like you were quite right. The last 2 events have seen me about 10 paces off the bottom of the field. Might even have been more at Mugdock if I had not been feeling a bit rough. The bike is behaving well. Next round for me will probably be Strathclyde Park. The best is yet to come! Oh ya dancer !

Cheers

James