30 milers 7/8/11

GreigS

I think I have created a bit of confusion here. Let me explain.

A few weeks ago I started this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5914

...proposing a new "Intermediate" group but one or two people made comments suggesting that a separate intermediate group was not justified. So yes I re-pitched it as a "beginner to intermediate" group under the name "Easy Riders" which seemed a convenient tag. I thought the 30-miler folk might want to come on board, in other words.

Last week's "Easy Riders" run was really a bit of an experiment. It was a partial success in that we got a very big turnout but only a few of the people who turned up were (as far as I could tell) 30-miler regulars. Also, looking at some of the posts this week it's now increasingly clear to me that people want the 30-miler group to continue as a separate entity, and I'm not going to argue with that. As Groucho Marx once said - I wouldn't want to join any club that had me as a member :icon_hee-haw

So yes Richie is right - "Easy Riders" was a sort of "rebranding exercise" but not a very well thought-out one. Basically I think I misinterpreted a few comments (or perhaps just took them too seriously). For the sake of clarity I am now going to rename the "Easy Riders" group back to the "Intermediate" group as I proposed originally. (I'm thinking about this with newcomers in mind - "Intermediate" is fairly unambiguous).

Anyone not OK with this? It's no more or less than what I proposed originally. To clarify this leaves us with three groups (the one in red is the new one):

30-milers

Intermediate bunch

Main bunch

Personally I think these three streams reflect the size and diversity of the club's membership very well and I think it will encourage more people to come out on a Sunday. Over the years I've noticed that the Reliability Runs tend to attract a very big turnout and I think there are two reasons for that:

1. Advance publicity (routes are well-known and posted in advance)

2. Use of three separate streams (due to the three separate groups people know they will be able to ride with a group that roughly corresponds to their fitness level/aspirations)

It's all about having fun basically - the more homogeneous a group the easier it is to manage the group and the more fun it is to be a part of. Also - I think there is an optimum size for a bunch (probably about 10-12) and once you get much beyond this it becomes a bit hard to manage. I must admit I didn't realise this until I tried "leading" a large group of 15-20 riders - simple things like trying to make yourself heard when shouting out the turns (it can be a challenge if you're at the back and the leaders are 20 metres away, upwind). Holding the group together through junctions is another one - and of course punctures/mechanicals become more of an issue the bigger the group gets. So these are further reasons why I think three groups will suit us better than two. (In fact I think this is one of the reasons Kenny MacDonald set up the 30-milers group in the first place - to split the Sunday bunch in two. I seem to remember him making comments alluding to smaller groups being easier to manage but at the time I didn't really appreciate what he was on about. Every day's a schoolday).

Thanks

Tony

still confused will decide which group to go with on sunday .i need to put miles in for my london to paris gig

would like to do the easy riders group (sorry intermediate group ) but dont want spat out the back so its decision

time !!!!!!

thanks

brian kelly

ps richie txt me youre number pls had probs with phone seem to have lost youres

Stoooopid!Stoooopid!