5th Annual Blackwood to Peebles and Back 100 Mile run

Dennis

Many JWCC riders have enjoyed this run over the years, and this time round the event will be held on Sunday 12th June.

Remember, the ethos of this day out in the fabulous Borders is that the group (definitely) stays together, and the object is to end up feeling as fresh as the day you started! :grin:

Other main features are lunch stop at Eddleston (HUB cafe will by then be closed) and Morag's cafe at Blackwood. Hello, beer !!

More details nearer the time.

Dennis

• 2023 Subscriptions

5th anniversary already?!

Sounds good, but think I may (already!) be booked up for that weekend. Northern Youth Omnium and track school at Mancs. :oops: However if the kids decide to give up cycling between now and June I'll be there. :-P

M

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Information and Route

Blackwood to Peebles And Back 100 Mile Run – Sunday 12th June 2011

Welcome to the 5th Edition of the Blackwood to Peebles 100 mile run and, remember, the ethos of this run is that the group stays together, by soft tapping, with everyone helping each other, with the object of finishing as fresh as the day we started! No flying off the front. This style of group-riding helps riders to pace themselves over such a long distance, without the fear of being dropped, and with a reasonable chance of enjoying it! Actually, it has become a popular event…

This year, the route will be: Blackwood, Boghead, Lesmahagow, Coalburn, Sandilands, Carmichael, Tinto, Thankerton, Biggar, Skirling, Blyth Bridge, Meldons, a half-way lunch at the Scots Pine Café near Eddleston, Peebles, round Cademuir Hill, Lyne, Stobo, Rachan Mill, Broughton, Symington, Wiston, Rigside, Happendon, Blackwood.

Those who are good enough to 'haud their horses' and want a ‘go’ on a hill, can do so on the main climb of the day, the infamous Wiston to Rigside climb near the end, with a re-gathering at the top, before we all ride home together for the last 13 miles or so.

On our return to Blackwood, my wife, Morag, will again kindly lay on tea, coffee, cake and biccies at our place near the start point. A number of people, as usual, are expected to come over from the Johnstone Wheelers and Houston, as well as RACC and other local riders. It will be good to see everyone.

Meet at Blackwood Hall – 8.45-9am; leave 9.30am sharp. To get to the start if you’re coming from the north – leave Junction 8 on M74 to join A71 going west for short distance; at Canderside roundabout, turn first exit left signposted to Blackwood (3.5 miles); enter village and pass pub, school and park on the left; at small crossroads with corner shop on left, turn left, and Blackwood Hall is 100 yards up on the right. Park in the red-blae area to the left of the Hall. The Hall is about to be demolished as part of a school rebuild programme, so if the car part becomes unavailable by that time, I’ll post here with a plan B.

If you’re coming from any other direction, just work it out on a map from the above, but any problems, give me a shout.

Will those who are definitely coming please post here for catering purposes and to generally raise the level of excitement! Each name that appears will no doubt raise a ‘oh, that’s good’, or an ‘aw naw’! :grin:

Dennis

• 2023 Subscriptions

Apologies Dennis,

Gutted that i can't make it this year, it's clashing with the Cumbrea 10TT/Vets road race that i've done for the last couple of years, and the family are in the habit of heading over to Millport and making it a day out....

Hope all is well with you and Morag..

Cheers Ian...

Just a note to say that the car park at Blackwood Hall is now closed due to the school re-build programme. Please park on the road outside the hall, or outside 4 Vere Road ('Morag's Cafe'!).

Estimated numbers are 15-20 and the bigger the bunch the easier it will be (for me!) 8-)

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Dennis

Another fine day out with Dennis and Co. in fine borders countryside and good company! Even the rain gods smiled on us. Plenty of JWCC in the bunch of 20 odd. Many folks now looking forward to Tony C's Ayr/Newton Stewart 100 miler next month.

Thanks again to Dennis for hosting the run/picking an excellent route and Morag for superb hospitality as usual.

here's to next year.

Iain