Glasgow SCX weekend

Martin S

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Martin

http://www.scottishcyclocross.org.uk/ has full info. There's a direct link for each race in the right hand column, or scroll down to find news about various events, including some ominous warnings about the depth of mud at King's park. Last race there was two seasons ago, and I remember running for about half of every lap! It was snowing too ... proper cross!

M

Message on the http://www.scottishcyclocross.org.uk/20 ... elled.html website reads

Bellahouston Cross Race cancelled

:cry:

It reads

"Brian Skinner has just been in touch to say that he is having to cancel Sundays race as the Council are going to need him to reinstate any damage to the park and it could be an open bill with large bond required as well.

It is with much regret that he is doing this but he feels that he could be financially ruined if the event goes ahead.

I will get a contact email address in the council to complain to and if you live in Glasgow complain to your local councillors. "

So it looks like Kings Park or nothing! Take THAT, ya bas!

Regards

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

Fraid so. Heard this afternoon the council were looking for some guarantees, and then got this forwarded to my mail at 9:30:

Date: Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Subject: Re: timings sunday

To: Davie Graham

Cc: Volley Ruth , Dr Forbes Tom

Davie, I am going to have to cancel the race. I don't really know what happened but yesterday Glasgow City Council emailed to say that I was now going to be responsible for any repairs to the park in relation to damage to the grass. They also mentioned that they may need a bond to be in place before the event. This was the first I heard of it.

I have tried today at a high level with the council but it looks like I am going to be left with an open ended bill and I can't do that. We had committed a lot to the race in terms of money and time and to say I am disappointed is an understatement.

Thank you for the opportunity to organise the race and your support and help along with that of Scottish Cycling. Tom has been great as well and as I say I am sorry it can't go ahead.

Can you please post an apology on the website.

Thanks

Brian

Brian M Skinner

• Committee

Loss of Bella is a nuisance and I am particularly sorry for Brian and G3R for the waste of their time and money.

I am still up for King's Park on Saturday and I am sure we will see more Wheelers and Jets there.

Martin: any tips on how to cope with the potential mud fest? Should we take spare bikes?

A

• 2023 Subscriptions

I find the more you carry the bike the less mud it gathers.

Having a spare bike in the pits is all very well, but implies that you also have a pit crew to demud your bike every lap or two and then give it back to you all pristine and shiny.

Looking on the positive side (and speaking for myself) what difference will it make? I'll still be riding like a big puddin', so having a muddy bike gives me another excuse!

M