SUNDAY BUNCH RIDES

Guest EPCC

After having a few discussions with a few of the Sunday bunch riders I think we should try and have a bit more structure to our rides, The first thing which may help is actually trying to organise and post the runs in advance looking at 6 to 8 weeks minimum ride about 50 miles, and hopefully with aternatives so that those who want more can.

Anway with the above in mind and the fact that it is winter and the runs should have the edge of them for a few weeks what do you think?

If you agree pleae follow the thread and post a run, i think this will also help some of the newer members feel that they can post runs that they want.

I also think that included in the runs could be some things like Paul is trying to teach on Saturdays

So wht do you think get posting if you think it is a good idea :eureka

The runs could get progresively longer faster or whatever A wee bit of help.

After having a few discussions with a few of the Sunday bunch riders I think we should try and have a bit more structure to our rides, The first thing which may help is actually trying to organise and post the runs in advance looking at 6 to 8 weeks minimum ride about 50 miles, and hopefully with alternatives so that those who want more can.

Anyway with the above in mind and the fact that it is winter and the runs should have the edge of them for a few weeks what do you think?

If you agree please follow the thread and post a run, I think this will also help some of the newer members feel that they can post runs that they want.

I also think that included in the runs could be some things like Paul is trying to teach on Saturdays

So why do you think get posting if you think it is a good idea :eureka

The runs could get progressively longer faster or whatever A wee bit of help.

Billy,

I concur with your sentiments on the whole. But a couple of points, if I may.

I think that the (lets be honest) faster bunch riding which Paul is running on Saturday mornings is a fantastic development. However the skills and speed work, should, in my opinion be exclusively for these sessions. Its a chance for more experienced/stronger members to hone their skills, benefiting from the considerable experience, Paul and the like can impart.

The Sunday bunch runs should be just that, a bunch of like minded folk out for the miles and perhaps a double shot latte with a bit of carrot cake. :grin: Not to say that members from this bunch cannot attend the Saturday sessions. But for the folk who wish to ride in a bunch and then the Sunday runs should, in my opinion be for general bunch riding skills for newcomers and all about the miles for the longer standing folk.

This was touched on briefly at the AGM. The general consensus being that in order to amalgamate the runs which are sporadically leaving Miller Street then a mass start at a fixed time would be to the benefit of all. A split could take place on the road which would allow those who wish to conserve their output meeting the other members at a cafe perhaps. This brings me to my next point, one which I agree wholeheartedly with you. That is to bring a structure to the Sunday runs.

The proposal that runs should be planned in advance is a pertinent for a variety of reasons, time scales and distances to narrow it down. Over the past weeks there has been runs posted by Tony Carrigan, his knowledge of the pave is invaluable and the likes of these proposals are valuable in that they give the chance for those wishing to attend an idea of mileage and time scales.

To that end could, a calendar of runs, much like the confined events would be an asset. I agree that a block of 8 weeks of runs would be ideal giving us the chance to look at a calendar giving some semblance of order to the run structure.

Just as an example, and forgive me if theses seem a bit north side of the bridge bias. You could have;

Sunday November 7th; Bridge, Milngavie, Kilsyth, Tak ma doon, Carron valley, Crow Rd, Stathblane, Milngavie, Bridge, home.

Sunday November 14th; Bridge, Stockiemuir Rd, Drymen, pipe track, round the lake, cafe stop at ballat, home.

Sunday November 21st; Johnstone, Coast Rd to Largs, cafe stop, Haylie Brae, track, home.

Sunday November 28th; Perhaps a Tony Carrigan special with a stop

Sunday December 5th: Spango via pylons cafe stop in Gourock

Sunday December 9th; Bridge, Rosneath, via Balloch Glen Fruin Coulport, cafe stop Kilgreggan

Sunday December 16th: 3 Lochs

Sunday Deceber 19th; Another Tony special

You get the idea, these runs are an example of what we could do rather than a proposal

Someone with administrative privileges would need to run with this but hopefully my sentiments would be shared by others.

My tuppence worth....

I think (at least in the beginning) the short loops of somewhere like the Admirality circuit is probably the ideal type of place for faster paced, structured "training" type rides. My opinion is that this type of (training) session will only work if everybody goes along with the clear understanding of what is trying to be achieved and is focussed on improving fitness, bike handling and learning "race craft". I am no expert but I found the original "through and off" session I completed with Paul, Ramsay and Greg the week before a lot more logical than Saturday, as it was completed (at least for me) on pretty much full gas - I don't think everybody will be wanting to sign up for this.

This being the case I am not too sure if it really fits in with the ethos of a Sunday ride which is more sociable and leisure orientated as Kenny points out. All you are really trying to do is get people riding 2-up a bit more effectively and making sure that you can trust the wheel in front (and the one behind).

Re: Largs runs - there are loads of more interesting, scenic and safer options of getting there via deepest, darkest Ayrshire than the coast road.

Davie

In the past it been the practice that the person organising the run decides where it is going.

Last Sunday we had the situation of 8 riders turning up at the club with no real idea where to go and the debate went on for several minutes. In the bunch there are usually a few who " have to be back by 1 pm". On this basis runs of 50 miles are about right or they can be longer but with the chance for peeling off to get back earlier.

I support the idea of having a route list in advance. It means that if it passes through Lochwinnoch I can have an extra 30 mins in bed!!

Although the Sunday run is a relatively leisurely affair it should still be conducted with disciplined bunch riding. It tends to get untidy when riders are chatting to their neighbor and not concentrating fully on the riding.

NOTE :at the AGM is was discussed and agreed that winter runs would start at 09:30 and summer runs at 09:00.

Paul C

You know sometimes when you open a can of worms.

well just to clarify what i hope we would discuss on this thread

organising the runs in advance in say 8 week blocks

Having within the run bailouts for those wanting shorter routes

Options for longer run regrouping at a Coffe stop

Encourage all to post runs so that they get a chance to do fav runs.

With regards to Sunday last we did have a route but changed on the day to suit all

PPS

Whats wrong with largs

My attendance at the Sunday runs has been sporadic over the last 2-3 years but I plan to get out more in the new year (been flirting with mountain-biking recently but I think I'm over it now :roll: ) Before making any other comment I will also say up front that I am one of those who normally need to get home sharp, due to childcare commitments, and for this reason I'm not (usually) interested in cafe stops or in going north of the river.

I think the idea of having a single pre-planned club run catering for all could be made to work, but might require a bit of extra effort to ensure people know where they're going, when the groups are going to split, etc. (Especially relevant for beginners/new members). Fortunately modern technology has made this easier.

By way of example: if you look at these two routes you will see that the second (46 miles) is an extension of the first (34 miles):

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=190601

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=192370

...and also the second one passes through Stewarton which has at least one cafe (or used to anyway). So basically, in this example we would all set off together and split up at Auchenmade (maybe sooner if we had one or more beginners amongst the "30-miler" contingent). Those looking for a decent winter mileage and/or a cafe stop would hopefully get what they want. (46 miles is maybe a bit "light" for some but it is only an example.)

If this is the sort of thing that would work then I am happy to contribute one or two more of these as my contribution to the "run list". If on the other hand you think it's too complicated or whatever then please shout. (NB I know not everyone loves the pavé as much as I do)

Hi, my concern would not be the mileage so much as how fast you will go. If you cycle as a bunch then do you go at the slowest pace or do you all go flat out and wait for the slowcoach to catch up at the cafe stop?

I like the idea of a pre-planned route. That way if I was to miss the start then perhaps I could drive to the cafe stop Hello, beer !! and join in there.

James