2010 Scottish Track Championships

Jonathan M

Here's a wee cheeky race report from yesterday.

Was through at the Meadowbank Velodrome yesterday racing in the Youth's 500m TT and Sprint. With some dangerous looking weather the Youths were up first in the 500m:

Jonathan Mitchell Johnstone Wheelers CC 38.32

Robbie Spence Discovery JCC 38.70

Angus Gillies Peebles CC 39.39

So i took the scottish title in the 500m Oh ya dancer !

Johnny Cosh was also riding the Men's Sprint and he qualified for the Sprint competition, with a time of 13.01, but going out in the first round having faced the top qualifier Bruce Croall. So a bit unlucky for him for this year.

It was great to see Kayleigh Brogan back on the track racing for the City of Edinburgh though! :grin:

I was then up in the sprint qualifying 1st with a time of 12.98 and being over 7 tenths of a second faster than the other youths. I progressed through the quarter finals against Emily Fyfe pretty easily, with the main aim of saving energy for the semis.

I was up against 4th seed Robbie Spence in the semis and took the 1st heat after he fell asleep and i jumped underneath him, getting a good gap and winning by a sizeable margin. In the second heat i then took the front and attacked with a lap and a half to go getting a good enough gap on him and winning on the line

This meant i was up against Gus Gillies in the final who qualified 3rd. In the first heat i attacked with a lap to go, pipping him on the line. Being one ride away from another Scottish title i let Gus take the front and then when he attacked we raced shoulder to shoulder round the entire lap with me just winning by a wheels length on the line

So that ended an eventful day with me taking 2 Scottish titles in the bag :grin:Oh ya dancer !

Although I find myself for a second year in a row, asking for more representatives from the Wheelers and Jets to be racing at this event. It is a great event with Scottish medals in the offering and a bit disappointing in the fact that only one other Wheeler entered the event. Especially since the big showing at the Wosca, why should it be any different for the Scottish?

Cheers Jonathan

Guest Jim Daly

Jonathon,

Brilliant results. Well done. :smash

Johnny will do more next season.

My excuse for not entering was a clash with a road race and concern that the vet titles would drop out if weather was a problem and little certainty regarding times and days for relevant events. Maybe next year.

Jim

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cracking results Jonathan. Well done. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Unlucky Johnny, hopefully next year.

I'd like to try track racing, but that means another bike and at present my wife's tolerance of additional bikes is running a bit thin! :shock:

Cheers,

R

Guys,

I should have also said that I concur with Jonathan Mitchell's view that JWCC could run riot at these championships and the WOSCAs next year - if we prepare! The City of Edinburgh are presently in a class of their own, especially in the sprints, but I saw with my own eyes four or five wheelers who could form a brilliant pursuit team, when we all went through for the accreditation. Add Ramsay and others to the mix and we have two teams! The two Jonathans will be at Meadowbank at 8.30am tomorrow morning to begin the sprint team's preparations! If anyone wants to come in future, let me know.

Remember in two or so years, the velodrome will be on our doorstep and we'll see how commited the east coast riders are then.

W