Beware !!

Kenny MacDonald

• Members

Ian Loughran was ambushed by a gang of neds on his way back from tonights 10. As he entered Woodhall a gang of neds ran down from the hill and started throwing bricks at him. Unfortunately (or fortunately ) one hit him below the helmet catching his ear. With blood streaming from his ear a van stopped to help& they pelted it with bricks. They moved along road to safety & phoned police, neds disapeared at sight of police van.

Ian phoned me from home with blood still pouring from the wound, it may need stitches. So its not only the bunch they are targeting now so beware if going through Port at night !!

As I said its maybe fortunate it was his ear and not an eye , it doesnt bear thinking about.

Glengarnock is looking a safer better venue every week !!

This is disgusting, why should we feel that we have to go around like downhill mountain bikers just because these sad, pathetic losers have no direction in life? It should be us that get police protection not the likes of these two wee eejits that kiled Jamie Bulger!!! R.I.P

It certainly seems that the level of harrassment around Woodhall has come to a level at which the police need to take a more active role.If they are not told about these incidents and cannot catch these neds in action then the place has to be avoided before someone is killed.I know that Glengarnock is a much safer option Kenny but I do not think you would be able to encourage the amount of riders and the quality of rider to Glengarnock once a week never mind twice as logistically for most it is too far out.Most riders we get weekly are from Glasgow,Paisley area who would have to leave work early and arrive home too late if riding there and also the variety of terrain on circuit is no comparison to Bunch route.Aviding Woodhall completely is the only short term answer and recently we have been using the dual carrigeway to next roundabout then up Clune, but there are riders who always go the short cut as they do not want to be dropped,like what happens in a race,but if everyone agreed to re-group at top it would make for a more benificial training run for everyone.Thoughts?.

well Paul, my legs jellied at the idea of getting up at 5.45 am on a Saturday morning (the time of your recent posting), let alone being awake enough to think about renfrew bunch routes!

That said, I quite like the idea of smaller loops that you can hang onto for as long as possible without getting dropped somewhere like Port Glasgow and being left to ride back through 'nedville' alone.

secondly (with ref to Iain's posting) the north side roads generally have even worse surfaces and a fair bit more traffic so I'd rule that out for bunch riding....