Saturday 13 April – 2019 Paris Roubaix OR even a few days in sunny MALLORCA

GlenIrving

• Life Members

Hi Glen,

It's a bit early to commit, I know I said it will be my last Pave adventure the last time round, but never say never, eh :-)

It's a bit premature to say this but I thought I'll chime in with some personal suggestion with my past experiences:

1.  I would make this a 6 day trip, rather than 4 & half as previous club venture have been, why? ...... well, Roubaix is on the door steps of some of the best Flanders road/bergs, so having a day or so more can allow you to explore/experience the climbs made famous by Fabian, Tommo el tel.... So, I would suggest travel on the Wednesday by ferry, arrive Belgium on Thursday morning , explore Flanders Thursday & Friday, ride the Sportive Saturday & back home Sunday (or staying till Monday and watch the race also)..... this all depends on means of travel of course.

2.  Make your base in Kortrijk, Flanders, rather than Lille (this was the base for my last 3 Roubaix) as it's too busy, the service & roads are pretty rubbish too when compare to Flander towns. Roubaix to Lille -14km, Roubaix to Kortrijk 19km (if you're driving, it's nothing) Kortrijk is much more pleasant & friendly (I've not been myself, but judging by other Flanders town, this should be a good one too)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kortrijk

3.  Get a MTN bike .................. :-) haha only kidding!

Anyway, whatever/however you decides, I will be following this thread closely ...........as they say, promises are made to be broken .......... now where's my extra bar tapes!

Cheers

Chung

18 hours ago, chung said:

Hi Glen,

It's a bit early to commit, I know I said it will be my last Pave adventure the last time round, but never say never, eh :-)

It's a bit premature to say this but I thought I'll chime in with some personal suggestion with my past experiences:

1.  I would make this a 6 day trip, rather than 4 & half as previous club venture have been, why? ...... well, Roubaix is on the door steps of some of the best Flanders road/bergs, so having a day or so more can allow you to explore/experience the climbs made famous by Fabian, Tommo el tel.... So, I would suggest travel on the Wednesday by ferry, arrive Belgium on Thursday morning , explore Flanders Thursday & Friday, ride the Sportive Saturday & back home Sunday (or staying till Monday and watch the race also)..... this all depends on means of travel of course.

2.  Make your base in Kortrijk, Flanders, rather than Lille (this was the base for my last 3 Roubaix) as it's too busy, the service & roads are pretty rubbish too when compare to Flander towns. Roubaix to Lille -14km, Roubaix to Kortrijk 19km (if you're driving, it's nothing) Kortrijk is much more pleasant & friendly (I've not been myself, but judging by other Flanders town, this should be a good one too)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kortrijk

3.  Get a MTN bike .................. :-) haha only kidding!

Anyway, whatever/however you decides, I will be following this thread closely ...........as they say, promises are made to be broken .......... now where's my extra bar tapes!

Cheers

Chung

Thanks all, will keep as an option and get onto it nearer time then, good stuff!