APR #2 Gateside: Sunday 9th April, 11am

Guest Jim Daly

Guest Jim Daly

I'll be at there.

Dave Leonard has expressed an interest in this, elsewhere in the Bunch.

If there is only the two of us, I want a 23 minute start.

Jim

Darren

I've lifted this from elsewhere:

Gateside is just East of Beith on the B777. You can usually park at or near the church / village hall. Start line is further out this road (ie away from Beith): you will notice a road heading off on your right with a notice about a whisky bond. Start is about 100 yards along this road. Route is along this unclassified road past the whisky bond until you reach the A736 (Barrhead - Irvine road); turn left (careful here - the A736 can be busy) straight until you reach Lugton and turn left at the Paraffin Lamp (pub) which brings you onto the B777 heading back to Beith and turn left again to cross start line. Lap distance about 6 miles. Race distance just over 4 laps (finishing at top of hill at whisky bond).

I'm off on my hols tomorrow so won't be able to join you - or at the ttt on tuesday. Looking forward to hearing all about them though.

Cheers

SH

Guest Jim Daly

Others could fill in the many blanks in this report:

My mind was a bit wandered before (maladjusted front changer) and after (exhaustion) the race.

1st Group with 4min start:

Brian ?

Chung

Tony Carrigan

John A?

Harry Lambie

Duncan ?

2nd Group:

Big Dave Ridley

Darren Asquith

Stephen Leckie

Me

Other (from Kilbirnie, with lively mobile phone)

2nd group bypassed Harry and Chung.

John? (punctured) at the Parrafin Lamp and was assisted by Tony.

Breakaway from 4miles out,with Stephen on my tail.

Caught remaining 2 man groupetto at the top of the last hill heading for Gateside.

Failed to drop Stephen as we bypassed the traffic.

Again failed to drop Stephen on the drag to the distillery gate.

Resorted to chatting, to throw his concentration, until just short of the farm gate.

Pipped Stephen by a bike and a bit, on the final hill climb.

Cheers,

Jim

p.s.

Thanks to Big Dave for fixing my bike on a tight schedule (4mins handicap period). Hello, beer !!

If you can do that while hanging out of a car window at 35mph, there's a job for you with Rabobank.

I don't know if there was a Brian in the first group but there was certainly a Euan McKay........the Fullarton Wheelers Sunday bunch also made a surprise guest appearance. Me and Euan and Dunc (?) got swept up by them partway round the first lap. (I think their Sunday runs must be a bit faster than ours)

:oops::oops::oops:

of course i could have won yesterday - but a mechanic must have know his place - its not on to beat the team leader - so i just eased back ;-) and gave jim the win - nothing to do with the fact i was blowing out of my ar**