Fixed wheel

a.yeoman

I started building a fixed a few years ago with all the intentions of using it as a comuting bike (no one would steal it)

I never quite got around to finishing it - all that is still missing is the fixed gear. I have the option of fitting a single fixed gear and a single free wheel on the other side. Only thing is I have no idea what size to buy. The front is a 42 (I think) but don't mind changing this too if need be. The bike is an old touring bike and the wheels are 700c.

Any other fixies out there got some advice for me.

cheers

For a couple of years I ran a Claud Butler Majestic (crappy but ok tourer) on fixed... I think I only did 3 journeys on it tho' more than once each....I used it to mainly to go to work : 4 flattish miles up the great western rd..slight rise to the Drumry Roundabout, to go down the coast to the North Face Sale (no one would steal it...tho' I think that invoved the Clune Brae..nicht so gut) and a few saturday morning runs up and down the crow road ..always in winter...the 38 mph descent was fun.....

Following the advice of a guy who lived in the basement flat below me at the time ( and he also redished the back wheel) I used an old 46 front chain ring and bought from wheelcraft an 18 back sprocket

This gave a gear development of ....obsessive compulsive disorder log on time.....(in good old old-fashioned inches)...46 divided by 18 times 27 ..convenientltly the 18 and 27 there have a ratio of 1.5 so that's 46 times 1.5.. a dreamy 69 inches.....now again co-incidentally 66.6 inches spun at 90 rpm gives you 18 mph so 69 gives you 18 -19..... on a touring bike in winter 17 or 18 is a nice speed so spinning around 85 plus on the flat and hard work on real hills and spin down them

the equivalent for 42 front is going to be about a 16 on the back.... 16 gives you 2,5 turns of that rear wheel plus another eighth (2.5 times 27 plus 1/8 of 27 = about 70......

If you go to 17 or 18 with a 42 the hills up are easier but down a misery and the flat will be 95- 105 at 18 or so

That makes the Crow a misery, not in going up which at 6 mph means 30 rpm but , going down at 38 which is cadence of 190rpm

I forgot to mention this gear ratio is real cool as it is 5 rpm per mph.....

The two best things about fixed, however, are... you never have to worry if the next gear up or down would be more efficient / just the one you need and, perhaps most importantly, you really need never worry about being last up the hill. or indeed down it, ever, ever again....

I assume this is you forward planning the Torridon trip..in that case put a 32 on the back and a 26 on the front and make it a single free wheel... forget the two sided swapping over for hills nonsense

ss

• 2023 Subscriptions

Come on Simon, only half an answer. How come you're not discussing tyre size then eh eh eh? if you're a real propeller head shurely thatsh important? :smash

I have a lovely gear table (.xls file) which lets you put in tyre bead size, so my planned 39x16 gear (ie the only chainring I've got) combined with a 23-622 tyre will give me 64inches.

how fast do I need to pedal to get 18mph then?

:-?

I feel somewhat ashamed by the briefness of this reply following simons discussion of the topic, but for what its worth my hack bike for getting around town is an old mtb frame, slicked up, fixed and running 49x16, and i cant say ive ever had any bother with it.

I suppose in terms of developing "suplese" (pardon my french spelling) a lighter gear would be preferable for spinning, but for general cruising about town i have found this nice and quick on the flats and manageable both uphill and down.

Enjoy it, whatever gear you choose!

40 x 16 would be 2.5 times 27 so 69 again and so 39 would be 1/40 th less ie 67.2 which is fractionally out from the magic number so as I recall that's roughly rpm per mph so spin 90rpm

the 48 16 on an mtb is 3 times 26 approx so 78......1/6 bigger than the above or cadence... fine for a big strong young boy like you Dave.....

I suppose at the end of the day.......what count..big inches or souplesse?

And besides.......... what's ten inches between friends....

ss

Alan

I've been commuting on fixed for the last couple of months and I'm using 44x18 (66 inch gear) which I find is ideal for my flattish commute.

I think it's best to err on the low side when choosing a gear because when you're going downhill you can either use the brakes (obviously!) or use your legs to apply gentle "reverse thrust" to stop yourself from accelerating so that you don't have to spin like a maniac. (I found it took a week or two of regular riding to get the hang of this.)

Tony

I read with some amusement on vertical drops outs track ends etc in the days not that long ago ( I can just see alot of you raising the eye brows and saying here he goes again ) before all our current aluminun and carbon frames .

Many cyclists stripped down there summer road , touring going to work bikes and put them on to fixed wheels but in those days we ALL had a lack of CASH and steel bikes which went just as fast . ( AND still used on the track to this day)

what we had then was all some of us could afford . Manual labour wasn't a spaniard then or now get the drift want to ride fixed strip down the bike change the wheels , take off if you have one the old type cassette ( some of us will still have them) shorten the chain put a fixed on and have a GO stop putting barriers up and saying I DON'T HAVE ONE of these look at the the bigger picture if you've got a bike you've got a fixed with little or no work involved theres plenty of people in the club with the knowlege to help if required . DOOLEYS have good track double fixed wheels that will make the job even easer .

• 2023 Subscriptions
steel bikes which went just as fast ... shorten the chain put a fixed on and have a GO .

I'm with you bob. my (at least) 15yo steel bike made it onto the road today. looks like crap, but fits like a glove and the 64" gear seems fine to me. Fancy measuring my cadence against all you big (74") gear men, so when's the fixed bunch coming out to play?

I'm up for a hurl tues/wed, or sat 7th/sun 8th. Show of hands? Well, hallawrerr china!

PS if it's tues/wed, planning on a couple of morning hours, followed by lunch in the pub Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

hi simon

sorry - off tomorrow for a week in achiltibuie (with gears).

did get out in the fog this morning - down to glengarnock this morning for a few laps. don't know what was worse - the back wheel stepping out on the black ice every so often, or the frost build up on your eyebrows. still, all worth it to see the majesty that is alan yeoman out on a bike in december. even a fixed wheel. Oh ya dancer !

have a good new year,

Hello, beer !!

martin

• 2 weeks later...

"I still feel that variable gears are only for people over 45. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft. As for me, give me a fixed gear!" -- Tour de France founder Henri Desgrange, in a 1902 L'Equipe article.

me: knee trouble again.javascript:emoticon(':cry:')..... no fixed or gears...

new year shocker was new Audi failing to start..3pm last Friday of the year....garage diagnosed stuffed fuel pump....."four figures...." ...Audi price £2k500...

Still Wednesday's link up to fault diagnosis gave no 'fault 59'...only a cracked fuel line.....phew!!!! javascript:emoticon('Oh%20ya%20dancer%20!')so the only gears I'll be running for a while are the 5 and 6 speed Ingolstadt ones.....

hope to recover for Reliabilities

Will it be Sinclair St

Largs

Moscow

DonSmith or what?

ps Lance claims to have only done 640 miles since July....javascript:emoticon(':!:')

javascript:emoticon(':smash')

ps Hannahjavascript:emoticon(':angryfire') is over my shoulder and ,aking me add Auto-emotions,,,,,

Sunday 29 - looks good for me.

I finished the fixed but think I'm a bit over geared. What i thought was a 38 turned out to be a 42 giving me a 42 - 14 which works out at around 81"

great on the flat but hurts up hill. think I'll invest in a 16 before the 29th.

Fixed is great and the cleats weren't as hard as I expected. anyone thinking of giving it a try should go ahead you'll enjoy it

Going to use it to work this week so might be fitter by the end of the month.

cheers

• Members

This is a great idea as the new concrete outdoor track will open in Glasgow next year with a track league being held every week everyone needs to get a fixed gear bike so they can play on the track. It's great fun and you don't get hit by cars!!!!!!