Campag shifters with Sram derailleur?

DavieB

No reason to question Mr Zinns word but does anybody have experience of running Campag shifters with Sram/Shimano rear mech.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-and-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404

I said I would never do it again but I am going to build a(nother) bike from frame up and as I run single chain ring for 'cross I was looking at a SRAM 10 speed rear mech with a clutch mechanism and have a set of Campag levers spare.

Also want to go tubeless so plan to buy 29er rims and fit 700cc tryres - again all indication would suggest this is possible but if anybody has experience to say otherwise let me know.

Before anybody tries to sell me a Planet X - (which looks a cracking frame/bike BTW with the one currently advertised on these boards a real bargain) - I have after much deliberation went for a Kinesis Pro 6

The frankenbike build may evolve once the cost of this comes down....

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/family/sram-force-cx1

Cheers,

Davie

No worries Alan the 29ers are out as I await delivery of a set of Stan's 700cc tubeless compatible rims on Hope hubs.

I feel a certain euphoria as the end of the Campag cycle of doom comes closer, believe it or not the next issue is getting Campag compatible compressionless cable housings for my shiny new TRP Spyre disc brakes.

Time to give in.

Shimano or Sram ...mmmmm???

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Davie

I know you are a man that has a healthy respect for value for money and chapeau to that. To that end, my previous investigations revealed that SRAM is lighter per pound spent. Eg SRAM Force is more or less equal to Dura Ace in weight but it about 2/3 of price. Hence Force on my bike with the occasional upgarde to Red when I trawl the ebay sites for bargains that are just too good to miss.

Having said all that I put Rival on my cross bike as one tends to trash a lot of components on said machine.

:)

Martin,

Perhaps not as sometimes cheapo Clarks cables can be your friend, a universal brake cable with the opposite ends capped by either shimano or campag stops. Cut off the one you don't want........genius! They probably stretch like bungee cord but worth a go.

TBH the comparability issues are a pain but would prefer to keep the Campag shifters, never had an issue with these and remarkably the most cost effective option amongst the big three.

A Record man such as yourself would be unimpressed at my déclassé mix of sub Centaur parts anyway :)

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Martin,

A Record man such as yourself would be unimpressed at my déclassé mix of sub Centaur parts anyway :)

D

You've not seen my bike lately. Gruppo by Heinz. The boys have all the good kit now (and rightly so, before anyone else says it!)