Calling all Mountain Bikers

AllanC

Hello,

I noticed the posts in the MTB section are a bit dated, so I was wondering if there is still a MTB element in the club?

I'm due to pick up my new mountain bike from club sponsor, Thomsons Cycles, this Friday and was wondering what's on offer in the local area with respect to trails etc.

Any advice welcomed.

Allan

• 2023 Subscriptions

There is some xc riding up the Glennifer Braes - possible to ride from the back of Elderslie to Barrhead covering sides of Robertson Car Park past Paisley golf course Glen Park, Brownside Farm and Firenze . This is mostly all traditional xc mountain biking rather than specific trails so can get muddy when its wet. There is some hardpack too which stands up to the weather better on the Brandy Burn side towards Elderslie at Windyhill Woods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_svn4JmfZU

At Clyde Muirsheil you can follow some of the paths and go up to the old mine, at Lochwinnoch there is Parkhill Wood there is a short loop in there.

Fairly close by there is the Commonwealth Games course at Cathkin Braes (which is closed just now for the games) and miles upon miles of access roads at Whitelee Windfarm plus a small mountain bike skills area which is due to open soon.

Further afield then Glentress down in Peebles is the big one. Purpose built trails to suit all levels of ability, would definitely recommend a visit there.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cheers Ian. Will investigate the Braes. New to mountain biking myself, I was down in Glentress a couple of weeks back. Great setup and tracks; only pay for parking (£5 for the day, bike wash and showers. Don't forget the £1 coins). Also recommend Go Ape as an aside; 2nd last flying fox 1/4 mile across the valley 150 feet up is brilliant.

Guest Kennyb

My background is pretty much exclusively mtb. More focused on cross and road now due to the time constraints of having two young kids but I still get out on the mtb now and then.

All the places mentioned earlier are good. However, my own fav is aberfoyle. Lots and lots to ride and it's quite close to home.

Cathkin braes is good but very manufacturered.

Carron valley (near Denny) is excellent.

+1 for Carron valley but my favourite is Kirroughtree. I rate it better than Glentress but both are excellent. Carron Valley trails were maintained by bikers (not been for ages so not sure it still is )and has zero facilities ( except a loo) but the trails are smashing and quiet. Parkhill is great for a short off road blast and is on my doorstep, recommend it for those new to mtb. trails at Drumlanrig are also great fun. Miss my mountain biking but my knees are shot so road it is!