Aberfeldy Middle Distance

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

My first outing at the middle distance...aka half ironman....aka 70.3

A wet and windy day but good fun and great to see Alan, Katie and Duncan there too. The event was really well organised with lots of friendly volunteers. Plenty of marshalls to keep you on the right road and hand out water, gels, energy drinks at the numerous feed stations.

1.2 mile swim in a warm but choppy Loch Tay. With over 300 people in the mass start it was a bit argy bargy at the beginning, but all part of the fun. It never takes long to find some open water.

56miles on the bike where the weather was at its worst! A couple of long challenging climbs (the second straight in to the wind) slowed me down a bit. A cross wind on the first descent meant I couldn't even take full advantage.

13.1 mile run on a lovely undulating country road. I even think the sun came out.

1.2 + 56 + 13.1 = 70.3 all done in 5 hours 34 mins 10secs. Delighted as I was hoping for under 6 but secretly wanted 5:30....next time it will be a sub 5:30.

Congrats to my fellow multi sporters.

Elaine

• Committee

Yes, a wild and windy saturday in Aberfeldy for several wheelers and Jets also including Heather Fleming who swapped wheels for a wetsuit and raced the swim leg.

Elaine put a storming performance in for a half IM distance.

This was the Scottish National Championship for "middle distance" racing which ensured a very competitive field.

I had a poor bike leg and finished a few minutes down on last year with a finish of 4.53 which will have pushed me well down the rankings.

Despite changeable weather the event and the scenery remain spectacular and a great target for anyone who has done a couple of shorter events.

The winning time was 4.14, a phenomenal performance by professional Fraser Cartmell.