Titanium vrs Carbon vrs Alloy

Guest EPCC

Billy,

I know you get titanium track bikes but thought it would kind have defeated the whole point of titanium as a frame material i.e. it is light, strong, rust proof and offers a "plusher" ride than alu or carbon. Surely on the track at least 2 out of those 4 benefits are null and void?

For the record just ordered new frame for the road and hummed and hawed for ages looking at Ti and thin wall stainless frames before going down the carbon route - it's tried, it's tested, it's decent value and it works.

D

• Members
For the record just ordered new frame for the road and hummed and hawed for ages looking at Ti and thin wall stainless frames before going down the carbon route - it's tried, it's tested, it's decent value and it works.

What have you bought?!

• Members

Billy, I don't know if the frame material makes that much difference at the level we're riding at. If you're going well enough to win track league races, I think you'll be able to win on steel, alloy, titanium, or carbon. The frame material won't hold you back if you've got the legs. Wheels probably make a bigger difference.

With that in mind, I'd check out online reviews of whatever frame you're looking at. If there's nothing to set alarm bells ringing, buy the frame that makes you most excited. That's what I'd do, anyway.

(One of the other pluses of titanium is that it ages well. Paintwork gets chipped and faded. If you get a Ti frame with a milled finish, you can polish out little scratches and nicks.)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Billy, I don't know if the frame material makes that much difference at the level we're riding at. If you're going well enough to win track league races, I think you'll be able to win on steel, alloy, titanium, or carbon. The frame material won't hold you back if you've got the legs. Wheels probably make a bigger difference.

Kate Archibald (City of Edinburgh) turned up at British Champs last year with a standard alloy Dolan. Won the Junior pursuit title against all the fancied riders with their aero carbon. What was it that guy used to say about the bike? The bloke's not well...

Wheels important though.

Guest Ross Toole

Kate Archibald (City of Edinburgh) turned up at British Champs last year with a standard alloy Dolan. Won the Junior pursuit title against all the fancied riders with their aero carbon. What was it that guy used to say about the bike? The bloke's not well...

Wheels important though.

Its not about it......... what it really is about is all the smack you take!

P.s billbo, when did u win the pools?