Wanted: Hybrid Advice

• 2023 Subscriptions

Does anyone know much about hybrids? I have been asked by a family member about some advice on hybrids, but to be honest i don't know much.

I hear that Boardman bikes are reasonable and having had a quick look they seem fine, but I don't really know.

I may pop in to Dooleys to see what they have.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

R

• Administrators

I have a Pinnacle hybrid which is pretty close to a road bike with flat bars. Geared more like a mtb and when weighted with 2 full panniers i can still get up hills. Its my preferred bike to commute on as I find it easier to look over shoulder in traffic.

Have used it on an off-road path I wouldn't take road bike over.

I didn't like the gearing on the Boardman but it may have changed since I looked.

Person is welcome to have a shot if they are of similar height.

• 2023 Subscriptions

My bike started out life as a hybrid, but I didn't get on with the flat bars once I stopped using the trailer or baby seat, so I modified it. So far as I can see they have road bike gears sort of (multi freewheel anyone!) , flat bars, chunky tyres and a comfy saddle. Racks, panniers, child seat are optional extras.

Revolution cross. Sold by Edinburgh Bike Company. Built like tanks. Dual brake controls so you can stay on the flat section of the bars if you want. Triple chainset will take you up anything and will take mudguards, panniers etc. Also take up to at least 35 mm tyres. I have used mine off road and on road. I got mine second hand for £180. Can borrow for couple of days if you want.