2014 trip

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well it nearly midsummer day so maybe time to start thinking about it !!!

A few have asked me about a regular haunt of mine in the Cost Blanca so I thought I would give a wee summary.

Area is Moraira / Calpe. About 20 miles east of Benidorm. I have been about a dozen times with half of those being at Easter.

Weather, I have seen one day of torrential rain at both Easter and summer. Beyond that a couple of spots on an occasional day at Easter.

April temps are about 17-19c through the day.

Luxury villa to rent which could sleep 10 with typically a 10x5 pool would be about £1500 - £1800 / week at Easter. Not much if there are 10 or even 8 sharing that matter. Normally need to rent for a full week. Downside of course is that you need to man up and cook for yourself. Or maybe just breakfast as there are plenty restaurants. Special feature of the costa blanca is excellent Chinese where you can get the full bhoona with vino and schnapps etc for about 8 euros each, astonishing.

Cycling in the area is as good as anywhere in the world in my opinion. Pot holes are very few and far between. Roads are mostly silky smooth. Traffic is minimal once you go 15km inland. As in 2 tractors, 1 car and a donkey over 10 miles. Scenery I can only describe as 'heaven on earth'. There are quite a lot of cyclists around, nowhere near as many as Majorca! not so many through the week, ie lots of locals out at weekend.

There is an 'anytime' time trial on the Col de Rates. Which you can run or cycle. Hut at bottom where you take card and stamp it in machine then do same at top station. Then post card in box and your time will appear amongst the many on the Internet. It is 6.8km with about 330m rise.

Flights to Alicante airport are plentiful from Easyjet and Jet 2.

Car hire is the route I use and as an example Darryl and I hired a small car which took our 2 bikes for £80 for 5 days in Majorca. Plus some fuel. Car obviously very handy for supermarket trip. And occasionally I have driven up the climb from the coast and parked maybe 15 miles inland so as to be able to venture further into the mountains.

I may well be time strapped to go next year with different job role but would hope to get for 4 or 5 days. I guess if we go this route then we would just need to make a 1 week commit whether you are there all the time or not.

Finally there are bigger hotels in Calpe which are another option, a lot of the pro teams go there in February, March. Usually Astana and Saxo Bank.

So, an option to consider.

:)

I enjoyed Italy but given weather during Giro this year I think June time for a return trip might be in order. Paul your suggestion for Spain looks good. I like the idea of a villa. Dont think the catering would prove too much of a burden........then again!

Social evening to ponder the possibilities is seconded.