Dolan Track Bike Sizing

Ramsay

• Committee

gearing and bike nfo

i have two loan bikes. they both have 49 tooth chainrings. they were supplied with both 15 and 16 tooth cogs.

if you want higher gears you will need to buy/borrow a smaller cog 14 or 13. you will also need a lock ring tool and chainwhip to change cogs and a standard 15mm spanner for the wheelnuts.

the lockring has a left hand thread.

if you are happy with one of the supplied cogs you may still need to remove the surplus cog because you may not be allowed on the track with a cog on the non drive suffer. so bring a lock ring tool and chainwhip anyway.

you will need to supply your own pedals.

tyres are clinchers so chuck a spare tube in your bag as well. i have seen two punctures on rollers in track centre so far.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I bought a 52 exact same as every other bike I have ever ridden and it was fine straight out the box. I set it up with same drop from seat to stem, same stem length and the 'horizontal' dimension from front of seat to middle of stem was same as every other bike. Only observation is that I am using a few spacers under the stem whereas on every other 52 frame I use no little or no spacers to get the drop from seat to stem.

So as far as I can see it has the same dimensions as every other 52 frame, geometry steeper for sharper handling and higher bb of course but these have no real impact on positioning or sizing.

Does that qualify as a 'discuss' contribution?

:)

• Committee

Further discusion (please let me know if you are not fascinated by this, but it might stop someone buying or renting the wrong bike)

Dolan size from bb to top of seat tube. But my 56 road bike is sized to the middle of top tube. So I have two bikes correctly labelled "56" but one has a seat tube 56cm long (dolan) and one has a seat tube 60cm long (ribble).

So I would probably need a Dolan 60 because I have to overextend the seatpost with the 56.

Just check your total seat post length and you should be fine.

Dolan 56: top tube 56 cm, seat tube 56 cm, stem 11 cm

Dolan 52: top tube 54, seat tube 52, stem 10cm.

Paul,

I think you are lucky because your various road bike manufacturers presumably use the same sizing as Dolan.