track rules

Alan McLean

• Committee

Hi

Looking for help understanding track rules after discussion on Wednesday.

SC Track league rules say that riders can be penalised for "failing to defend his/her chances". This is doubtless part of BC Rulebook p.107 24.6.5:

"Any rider who fails to take up the chase when a rider or riders break away, may be deemed to be failing to defend his chances, and be liable to disciplinary action under the Disciplinary Rules."

What is this rule supposed to stop? Massive Chinese betting syndicate race fixing in the C group? Are we allowed to race with teammates outside team pursuits?

(I know no-one really cares but I'd hate to lose my twelfth place for "not trying hard enough".)

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi

Looking for help understanding track rules after discussion on Wednesday.

What is this rule supposed to stop? Massive Chinese betting syndicate race fixing in the C group? Are we allowed to race with teammates outside team pursuits?

(I know no-one really cares but I'd hate to lose my twelfth place for "not trying hard enough".)

Alan

The velodrome is in the far east, after all. ;)

I'm certainly no expert on track rules, but I think it's to stop team orders. Some of the Glasgow Riderz got a severe talking to by the Comm on Wednesday night for riding as a team.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I reckon easy enough to ride as a team but not get caught out by rules. For example, 1 lap to go in scratch and you go full gas with team mate on wheel for a lead out - how could anyone say you are not defending your chances, you're going full gas on the front, Glasgow South were clearly doing it last week in C race I think it was. Where you might get caught out is sitting 2nd wheel and letting the gap open to team mate on front (you could claim cramp but that would be a bit underhand)

great to get your tuppence worth on these forums

Ohyadancer!

Correction

3.2.002 Conduct of Riders

Riders shall refrain from any collusion , manoeuvre , or movement likely to hinder the conduct or distort the result of the race .

That statement could suggest that riding as a team is a breach of the rules I would only think that would apply if somebody was paced or that the other did not compete a sprint or the finish