Arrochar-Rest-Dunoon Run 14th Oct

chung

• Life Members

Hello there,

Given that last Sunday weather was really good and the forecast for this Sunday is flavouable, I was thinking may be a last long run before the real winter sets in and we need to swop our summer machine for the winter hack.

So, I am going for a last horrah for this Sunday, plan was to start early-ish for a long day on the saddle. My propose route is as follow:

Club room - Bridge - Helensburgh - Rhu - Garelochhead (Whistlefield) - Arrochar - Rest & be Thankful - Struchar (lunch stop) - Dunoon - ferry to Gourock - Home

My estimate for this club room to club room is 95ish miles, like i said before it's going to be a long day hence 8.15am start would be ideal. Who knows, we might even bump into Greig & John el tel as they're heading over to Dunoon too.

Good climbs via Whistlefield & Rest, just hope the weather would be as good as last week.

Of course if weather is poor, then I'll make alternative plans.

If anyone is interested in coming then please can you post your interest, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Chung

An ambitious one Chung. Weather looks changeable for Sunday. By the lack of affirmative responses I'm thinking no one fancies the 8.15 start or getting a soaking a long way from home at this time of year. My betting is for the first of many winter visits to the Hoose of Bagels or perhaps Charlie's bumped Troon run and the attraction of the Venice Cafe scones. Happy to go with the flow though.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good idea, Chung. Normally I'd be up for this one, but I've been off the bike on holiday and gave blood last week, so it's just a bit too much for me at the moment.

Hope you get a few more takers and have a good run. I'll probably head out with the 30-milers - with the form they all seem to be in these days, I'll have my work cut out to stay with them.

• Members

Chung, I don't know if I've got the legs for your full route. I'm trying my hardest to avoid getting wet too. However, if you'll have me, I'd be happy to do the Glen Douglas run we talked about, or maybe even Glen Fruin. If you and Graeme are keen to do the full whack, I'll pal yous out. North side of the bridge at nine?

Nae offence intended to the main bunch. I just think we'll all see enough of Largs in the months to come. :grin:

• Life Members

Richard & Graeme & whoever else,

Richard, I'm happy to go along with your plan, sounds more sensible than mine looking at the present weather forecast - good call!

I'll see you two 9.00am at the bridge then.

Hope the sun god will be shining on us!

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

5 started from the bridge - Bill T, Ian Mcginty, Graeme, Richard & myself set off in search of the sun!

The route took us through Dumbarton, Renton, Ballock, Arden roundabout, left turn up towards this end of Glen Fruinn then a right turn detour onto the main road which took us back down the decent towards Faslane. A decision was made as to head back to Helensburgh for a cafe stop instead of going over to Kilcreggan as the weather didn't seem to be getting better.

A warm cafe with delicious scrambled egg rolls & carrot cake was much needed as we were a bit wet by this point.

Dried & feed we headed back towards the bridge where Richard & I said goodbye to the rest where they headed back up the Eskine bridge.

Staying this side of the river I made my way home with the help of Richard's wheel. Just like the previous Sunday's gone by the sun decided to come out as we headed home, well at least we got some sunshine! Hello, beer !!

So, it was good to end the run on a positive!

Not my original planned route but considering the weather, a few miles short of 80 was still good for me especially with great company & wheels to follow!

Thanks to everyone that turned up & kept me company, I really enjoyed it given the foul weather to start with!

See you all next Sunday!

Cheers

Chung