30 milers 8/7/12 Dunoon

GreigS

Heres my take on todays run

Thanks John for the route it was a good route even though we missed the ferry and we channged it. On the way down we tried riding as a proper bunch and at times it did work and it looked good aswell but i think we all need coaching of how to take our turn at the front. Nice cafe stop at lunderston garden centre ( not my idea i wanted a Mcds lol ) for some reason the subject changed to what route we would be taking home when im given options i will always take the easy 1 ( Westferry ). Joyce opted for the whin some went up the clune ,anyway what happened after our cafe stop was total crap ( in my opinion ) out the window went riding as a bunch and the race started. If i wanna race i will wear a number this was a 30 miler run so why did it turn into a race if people want to do that go out with the main bunch when their training for an event to test theirselves , no thought was given to the slower riders today, needs to improve dramatically before someone gets hurt

Greig no banana today :icon_mooning

Greg etc al. Keep at the bunch riding, the group will eventually work more efficiently and cover more gound. Smooth and deliberate moves with plenty of communication. If someone makes a mistake point it out and move on. As for things descending into a race, can happen and does in the main bunch but we generally calm things down after a bit esp if people are being shelled and let the group come together again. Remember as a group you will have to work less and generally have a higher Ave speed. Nowt wrong with having a blast but you're correct if the group are not sufficiently skilled someone will come off due to a touch of wheels or going into the back of the man in front.

If there are noticeably stronger riders in the group make them take longer at front or send then onto the next group with your best wishes.

Speak to some of the main bunch regulars for advice on bunch riding.

M

Hi Guys

It was a good run today and Greig/Mark I am with you 100% as regards safety. Simple rules for bunch riding which improve safety/speed and reduce effort.

Not following the rules creates unacceptable dangers to everyone. We should all be riding for each other and yes some additional training/practice would be good. Remember we represent the club when out on the road. We wear club colours and others will judge us by our road sense and safe riding.

The 30milers have come on so much over the last year in terms of distances 50/60 plus and at reasonable pace is now the norm. Lets not spoil it or take anything away from the improving bunch. A wee bit of discipline would make such a difference.

Thanks Greig

John