New guy

Jonathan c

Hello everyone, Jonathan here

I'm a newbie from linwood, used to being on the mountain bike, but not been out on that for ages. But purchasing myself a road bike.

As I've never had one I thought I may as well meet people that know what there doing and gain as much advise as possible lol

Hopefully come out on a Sunday soon if that's ok...?

Anyways thanks for having me on the forum

Jonathan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Welcome Jonathan.

As you have probably figured, keep an eye on the club runs section of the forum for when people are going out. I would suggest heading out with the 30 Milers to start and then working up from there.

Hope you manage to get yourself a nice bike. You can check out our club sponsor Dooleys (see details in the page header above), who I'm sure will have something suitable.

Looking forward to seeing you out and about soon.

Cheers,

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Welcome to the club Jonathan,

Like Ramsay said, keep an eye on the "club runs" section to get an idea of whats going on, there's usually at least 2, sometimes 3 different groups going out on a Sunday, so you 'd have plenty of choice based on your fitness level...

Cheers

Ian......

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jonathan,

Don't know your budget, but I would suggest as a first road bike something reliable that fits properly, rather than hugely expensive. I race on an Aluminium Ribble, which was bought on cycle to work, and it gives me great pleasure beating people that ride on hugely expensive bikes! :grin: (In saying that, I would love to have a hugely expensive bike myself, but......)

I would suggest going into a shop or two and seeing what they have for the money you have. Try a few and listen to what the person has to say about them (although don't always belive what a salesman tells you!).

Again depending on your budget, you can decide on Carbon, Aluminium, Titanium or Steel. Then your gearing of Shimano, Sram or Campagnolo (I ride/race Campagnolo and have found it great, but I know other that swear by Sram and Shimano).

Probably not much help, but it is worth having a good look around and see what deals are going. Enjoy the shopping anyway!

Cheers,

Ramsay

• Committee

Jonathon

Can you share with us how much you would like to spend?

Road cycling is much more comfortable with dedicated pedals, shoes and shorts so you may wish to budget another £120 upwards for these.

If you can cycle for one hour on local roads with some hills without stopping then you should be ok for a shorter club run.

Alan