Training with limited time

Richie Cross

Hi folks,

As I only get 2 weekends off in every 5, my training is somewhat limited but with the Italian trip in the distance....far distance I know...I was looking to see what's best apart from making it along to the turbo sessions when I can.

When I'm on days off, my daughter goes to nursery for 2 1/2 hrs so I've potentially got a 1 1/2 - 2hrs depending if I'm picking her up etc etc.

So, do I go out for a shorter time but at a greater intensity?

Cheers

• 2024 Subscriptions

Ritchie

As you know the goal is a long ride through the mountains. You have to be able to ride your bike for 10 hours or so.

None of us will replicate that in training! What we will all do in our sometimes different ways is to train faster but shorter distances.

The best thing for you is to ride whenever you can. Also turbo work is essential. Two sessions a week of long intervals at threshold will give the best bang for buck. On the weekends you can ride, a long ride is important. As we approach May, I'm sure we will have some dress rehearsals.

Don't fret about it though, you'll be ok.

Hope that helps

Darryl

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Alison

These are just my ideas. They work for me, but I am not suggesting that I am a coach or anything like that. My knowledge is no better than a lot of people on this forum.

It all depends on how much you can stand(!), and what you are training for. If you only have 3 weekly slots of 1.5hours (as Ritchie seems to have), then imo at least two of them would be better devoted to intervals. How long? 15mins warmup, 1 hour or so of long intervals (6x6 mins with 3/4 mins easy between, or 2x20 with 10 mins in between), 15 mins warm down. Level: about 90-92% MHR.

Long runs are also necessary, where possible.

Darryl

• 2023 Subscriptions

Richie, Alison

Limited time - my thought is have a definite and specific plan and go for quality - you can achieve a lot on 7 hours per week if you make every minute count.

Intervals like Darryl says is the best way to make it count. Typical session for me would be 10 min warm up, 3x4 min with 2 min rest, 3 x 3 min with 1.5 rest, 3x2 min with 1 rest, 3x1 min with 1 rest. This takes almost exactly 1 hour with a warm down to follow.

Intensity would be 90% max heart rate for the 4 mins edging up to 92% for the 1 min intervals.

As I've often mentioned on the forum the real key is establishing max heart rate, which is good warm up, ride for 15 mins at hard rate, few short sprints, back off for 5 mins then ride up a long hill (10 mins plus ascent) gradually increasing work rate over 6-7 mins to point of exhaustion then sprint as hard as you can. Note max heart rate.

hope this helps

Oh ya dancer !

Richie,

During my time working at Faslane I biked it from Houston for a while. At least twice a week, 25 miles each way, and had to be at my desk for 8am :shock: With Friday being a half day it was a great oppertunity to extend the miles on the way home and I would regularly clock 60 or so miles.

The difference it makes to your riding is tremendous. Yes its a pain to get up and out in the cold and dark for 0600 but trust me once the sun starts coming up (even if its raining) the journey to work is so much more pleasant Oh ya dancer ! Once there you definetly feel much better about the day ahead. And there's no backing out if you want to get home either ;-)

Added to that the kudos from work mates (initially p*ss taking) especially when they leave work at the same time as you and only really get past you at the Erskine Bridge 8-) or have you stuck on their bumper in a 30mph zone Take THAT, ya bas! .

Only takes a bit of organisation and motivation. I had a suit bag at work with a change of clothes that would be refreshed on the days I drove to work so there was no need to carry any more than you normally would.

Go for it. You know you want to :-P

Colin Hello, beer !!

Ritchie,

If you can commute, then do. Even if its only once or twice a week. You'll be adding probably no more than 30-45mins each way onto your day if you're doing a 23 mile each way commute. Put it another way you'd probably be trying to get out in the evening for a ride anyway. It also fair racks up the mileage in the legs.

I'll do Kilbirnie to the office in Glasgow on the bike comfortably in 1 hr 20mins or so, including for traffic lights and those car thingies. In the car - 45 mins + depending on the big car park known as the M8. My problem at the moment is that the job is increasingly dictating I'm needing the car everyday.

Not sure where you are heading to but the path is pancake flat and very quiet so you can give it a bit of stick at least as far as Paisley. Savings on fuel costs can then be redirected for some cycle related bling.

M

Yep-commuting is the way to do it.

I'm 10 miles each way to the broomielaw from the shire. I head straight out from work

2-3 times a week, through govan & out to the lanes at back of houston-up & down

to port glasgow then back home via cycle path and elderslie. I do 40 odd miles if I do

so. It gets ther training out the way cos, if I'm honest, if I get home from work by other means I tend to plonk myself on the couch and remain there. If you do that plus sat/sun

you'll be fine.