Tour de Trossachs

Kenny Christie

Its fair to say that the weather was 'inclement' this morning. The biblical rain, which I listened to whilst quite content as I lay in my bed was enough to place a seed of doubt in my mind. However, never having done this event before, and with the benefit of hindsight, probably never again, it was my intention to see it through.

The Trossachs were shrouded in a heavy low lying cloud, which never lifted throughout. I can testify that I missed my compact chain-set very much whilst pecking and blowing my way to the top of the Dukes Pass, its a freakishly deceiving/long winded climb from the Aberfoyle side. The descent to Loch Venacher was interesting with carbon rims in the monsoon conditions, there is an element of intuition/luck when the pads decide to bite, then when they do its a real surprise, allied to that my visor on my pointy hat misted all over for the duration. Exciting times. Much thanks to Iain Cowden for his recon of the course which gave me an idea of what was coming up.

So, 28.6 miles on a cracking course, really well marshalled too.

5 JWCC flying the flag in the end of season TT, Ben, Ramsay, David, Iain Cowden and myself.

Fine results by both Ben (who had to stop and fix his chain and got held up in traffic!) and Ramsay, on what was a very wet, but mild day.

*probably will have another go next year*

Well done all. Hello, beer !!

The rain made the descent of the Dukes a bit sketchy for me as i have not ridden that road, infact i was thankful when Jamie Kennedy of the Couriers overtook me at the top and i could follow his wheel/spray. if its dry next year, i will shave minutes of my course time.

The rolling and flatish sections were fast, i made up time on these.

Given all the twists and turns, climbs and descents, it offered lots of oppurtunity to get your breath back and it was only on the Dukes climb that i was truly in the 'red zone'.

A great course and experience gained, definately ride again next year.

Ben

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yep, like Ben, I have never ridden the roads out there before, so reckon I could take a good bit off from just having that experience now. I did however manage to get in the red quite a bit on the way back!

That was my last ride on the Cervelo, so now time to find something with a lower front end.

Would definitely do this again. A great way to end the TT season. Only 3 hillclimbs then it's all over for another year! :-(