Bicycle Polo

Kenny MacDonald

• Members

Bike Polo begins on Saturday 25th. October at seedhill playing fields

Bikes & Mallets provided , cost is £2 per head to cover cost of pitch and changing rooms. Planning a 2;00pm start to allow people to do a run in morning.

Beginners welcome , its great fun and keeps you fit in winter .

Great for improving bike handling skills. We will be using a soft ball for training so no injuries can be sustained from impact with the ball. The competition balls are traditionally made from solid wood , although nylon ones are used most of the time now.

If we dont use pitch regularly this winter we are being evicted from the playing fields and will have to remove all the bikes. I dont want this to happen please try and attend to keep this side of the sport going.

Kenny MacD

ps this is an exciting game which Brian Smith and Drew Wilson used to sharpen up their sprinting abilities.

• 2023 Subscriptions
Bike Polo: Bikes & playing fields

kenny

I always wondered what the bit on the club website about bike polo meant. I thought it was a made up story to catch out the gringos

these may be daft questions, but do we ride bikes around a grass pitch? In winter?

I thought it was only the fitba' boys that had their season in the wrong season.

Sounds like great fun to me. what kind of bikes are they? how many a side? do we need shin pads? are there any rules?

it's in my diary

m

• Members

Yes we ride on grass on special bikes which have no brakes , one long handle bar and one short one. The right hand bar is cut to allow the mallet to swing through. You must play right handed so lefties have to learn to use the right hand. Shin gaurds will stop pedal hitting shin if you take feet off pedal , remember its fixed wheel bikes hence no brakes. Park can get unplayable if we have lots of rain , but we have to take it as it comes.

Garauntee anyone who turns up a good laugh and a hard training session to boot. Footwear trainers or boots.

• Members

George and I tried this out last year and it was a total laugh (sorry if you take it seriously!). Be prepared for the youngsters (including Scott Robertson) to literally run rings around you.

Oh, and it's a good chance to practice falling off (soft grass) and get completely bogging. :!:

Kenny, I fancy giving it a go. How long will will the training and/or games last?

I know I tried it once about 15 years ago but remind me, is there a goalie in each team & if so can I dodge being one?

:roll:

Pat

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The first Polo session will be on Saturday 25th . October at 11:00am ( gives you time for a pre game run if you wish. I realise some guys will be in Arran but will go ahead to give others chance to try out bikes and hone mallet skills. meeting at johnstone high 10:30 onwards to sort out bikes and do an hours session. Bring trainers and clothing to get dirty in !!! Bikes and mallets provided. No changing facilities so either change in car or ride home dirty, secure bike parking available.

Plan is to run every Saturday morning during winter ( Ji Hi till I can arrange alternative)

Well worth a try , please send me a note if coming along.

Kenny MacD