Mountain Biking in the Borders

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Elaine and I were down in the Borders this weekend and did a bit of mountain biking in fantastic weather.

Bit of mixed fortunes. On Saturday we were 20 mins into the route at Kirroughtree and I snapped my frame! It had paint missing and was down to the bare aluminium, so not totally unexpected, but still a bit annoying. By the time we walked back to the centre and went to the bike shop there wasnt enough time to hire a bike. Lovely dinner and bottle of Beaujoulais it was! Hello, beer !!

We went back to Kirroughtree today and instead of hiring a standard bike, I hired an Orange 5, full suspension. All I can say is that it was an absolute blast. I had never ridden a full susser before, but the Orange flattered my average skills and has now made me really want one, unfortunately it is hugely expensive, so dream on!

Had forgotten how much fun mountain biking can be. Once I get a sensibly priced replacement, I may start doing a bit more! :grin:

Ramsay

We've never met so I don't know how tall you are but if your in the tall range then I have a Scott full suspension bike that I was about to sell, its had its fair share of knocks around the 7 stanes centres with a corresponding amount of fun. Would be a great replacement if you want to try more mountain biking but want to avoid forking out on a new bike

Cheers

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ramsay

Ive just decided recently myself to go out on my mountain bike ( Orange E8 )

again. When I wanted to get back into cycling last year I needed a road bike for bad weather cycling. I bought myself a cross bike ( cube pro x race ) you have seen it. I love it cause it does everything. However I do miss mountain biking. If you want to organise a wee get together maybe some other wheelers may also want to get out. Its such a blast.

Cheers

Stevie

Hi Steve, if you guys get together for a bit of mountain biking, then count me in. I am new to the forum and havent met anyone yet, but any chance to get out on the mtb the better. I totally agree with the comments on the Orange full susser, the wife bought be a birthday present a few months back, Rocky Mountain Element. What a machine... Oh ya dancer ! Havent had a proper chance to get it dirty yet..!

cheers

H

Hi Ramsay

Ive just decided recently myself to go out on my mountain bike ( Orange E8 )

again. When I wanted to get back into cycling last year I needed a road bike for bad weather cycling. I bought myself a cross bike ( cube pro x race ) you have seen it. I love it cause it does everything. However I do miss mountain biking. If you want to organise a wee get together maybe some other wheelers may also want to get out. Its such a blast.

Cheers

Stevie

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys,

Sorry for slow response. I now have a new mountain bike :grin: , but due to still being the road race season, I've only been on it a couple of times and I'm fairly limited for time until the end of October/begininng of November, but will post if I plan to do a day out.

James - thanks for the offer, but the old frame is aluminium and has severe corrosion (subject of a failed paint warranty! :angryfire ), so once I have the time to strip all the parts, it will be put in the bin. Seems a shame for what was a £1,200 bike only 7years ago, but I did use it 3-5 times a week for 3 years, as well as racing it, so it doesn't owe me anything!

Cheers,

R