Arran-it's an optical illusion!!

Dougie Da Rosa

I have just awoke from one of the biggest nightmare dreams I have ever had but strangely with a large grin on my face :grin: .It began with us turning up at the ferry to discover it was broke and even Al Yeoman hinting about me havin a wee quick look at it we decide to take Darryl's(or is it Darren)suggestion to ride at a fast pace rucksacks and all to Wymess Bay to grab the ferry just as the ramp was getting lifted :oops: .After what we felt was a 10 minute break on the ferry we were back on the bikes again with Simon S already showing his appetite for eating miles with about a ton of gear in his panniers!.Another wee ferry dropped us at Colintrive where the wee ticket wifey was getting a bit stroppy before Darryl could calm her down and get her to take our money :-? .This was where it all began to go uphill,the Pannier-ia boys setting the pace followed closely by myself,Ian Manson,Scott D and Martin M,the other lads slipping off the back slightly,thats what they get for bringing their carry oot,at least thats their excuse :-P !A quick photo shoot above Tighnabruach,sharp descent then up again and down into Portavadie to grab another boat to Tarbet where we thought we would have time to catch lunch,but,to Andy C's dismay we had to get moving or we would miss the Clonaig ferry,damn :-( !Now up to this point Jim Brogan has not been mentioned in my run down but the big man was rippin up those hills on his fancy new steed,carbon no less I must add.He seemed to have found a new lease of life when climbing but when I heard him telling himself that the hills were only an optical illusion I nearly fell off laughing but trying to keep up with Ian manson(130bpm)took up my attention,Ian had grabbed a march on us and went scuttling up the climb followed by the rest of us and this was where the miles were starting to tell,you dont hear that nice lad Steve Hickey swear often but some of the obscenities would turn your milk,that tells you how he was feeling :!: .One more ferry,after we managed to share 3 small baguettes and 3 slice of meat between 11,its the loaves and fishes trick again ;-) !!.Incredibly 7hours after leaving Ardrossan we touched down on Arran but still had to climb the Boglie to get to the hotel,nightmare no.2!.I dont know how we managed it,dont know who was first to top,who's ba'burst or who was sick,who cramped up but we still reached Auchrannie in one piece and together,great team work.A wee lounge about the pool,sauna and dressed,it was time to drink the town dry,aye right,I think we averaged 4 pints each and then we all retired to bed gubbed :cry: .Oh,top tip from Simon,if you dont have earplugs,white bread is good!!!!.The next morning after a mega brekkie we split up,some went home early,some went over the Ross and String roads including Big Jim with renewed enthusiasm for the hills,says he doesn't want to ride on the flat anymore!!.I dont know what Davie Mc Kellar ate for breakfast but he was flying on sunday,leaving us all for dead on the hills and even going off the front,what was going on there :angryfire ?.The return journey on the ferry would have been uneventful had the boat not veered left sharply and some wee wummin on a wheelchair went flying across the dining area,thankfully unharmed but brought on some amusing thoughts.Back on dry land we all headed home in cars thanks to Jim and Davie Mc k's wife coming down for him.Many thanks to all who attended,for the laughs,the teamwork,moral support to others when struggling and for just being in my mad dream,if that ever came true nobody would believe me,would they? :smash

Goodness me Davide...

it's clearly a post structural tribute to Jacques Derrida.....you ought to see that... a cycling meta- narrative....the bit about white bread was the give away .... a sort of .... errrrrrrrr....triumph of agency over materialism and reified social relations....

Yours

David

Team Pannieria

so tell me why when I got back on the bike today with no panniers it only seemed easy for the FIRST mile?

ss

ex Team Pannieria.... looking for a new contract?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all your computing needs, new machines, spares & repairs - the Yellow Computer Shop, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic weekend 8-)

Thanks Douglas de la Rosa, and Darryl "i've got a good plan b" Gunson

Next year: same route on the Saturday: stay later and do "round the island" on the Sunday? :lol:

Stephen H

For all your computing needs, new machines, spares & repairs - the Yellow Computer Shop, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

PS I dont have anything against the yellow computing shop but I didn't include their paragraph in my message..........do they have permission to add their bit?

I'm sure Iain will let us know

SH

yup i've now read the bit about the yellow computing company.......

psssst stephen it just so happens that iain frequents that joint.