Cyclocross or Road Bike?

james-maclaren

Hi,

It looks like my son Hamish is going to be involved with cycling for a few years to come. So, if I am going to be involved, I think I need to improve my wheels somewhat.

Since the cyclocross season is so short, should I choose a bike that I can use for club runs and for cyclocross events? What should I look for? Don't see much point in buying new (rather not spend all that cash) when there are lots of secondhand bikes for sale.

How can I work out what size of bike to buy? A wee bit of help.

Any advise on this subject will be gratefully received. Hello, beer !!

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

James,

My advice would be that if you are only going to get one bike and if you want to ride cross and road, then I would go for a cross bike.

I have a cross bike and it is the most versatile bike I own. I use it for cross, winter, touring and general kicking about. I change my tyres on it fairly regularly between road and cross, which takes 10mins. Although a second set of wheels reduces that change over time to about two mins.

In terms of size, my cross bike is the same as my road bikes. If you don't know, then go into a bike shop and try a few. Be careful about reach as well as stand over height (I have a relatively short reach but long legs, so find it a marginally smaller frame with a long seat post works well, but everyone is different). If you do a quick internet search, you will find loads of stuff on frame sizing.

Cheers,

Ramsay

James

+1 with Ramsay. Suggest you get a cross bikes with proper mudguard fixing points.

Full muddies are a pain to fit but you can do it in December once the racing has finished and be nice and dry for the rest of the winter AND ride in a bunch without blinding the rider behind you

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

You can James, but they're a nuisance. Extra nuts and bolts, which means extra creaks and rattles, plus the fixings scratch your paintwork.

Best to get a frame with mudguard eyes if you can. Also means it's easier to fit a rack.

And back to the original question, didn't want to jump in too soon, but if I only had one bike, it would be a crosser. 2 sets of wheels, mind.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

BTW, when I said one bike, it would probably be this one. Which also backs up the 'a cx bike is all you need' school of thought:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... s-prestige

(PS Campag, too)

If he chose it for Paris Roubaix then it's good enough for Renfrewshire. :smash

• 4 weeks later...

Er, How much?

What I need most, I think, is some one to tell me what size of bike I need. If I came along to one of the turbo sessions at the club, could I get an idea from someone of what size bike to buy. I think I will be buying a secondhand bike and possibly off eBay. If I get it and it does not fit then I could expect to sell it for similar money. But, much better to buy one that I know is likely to fit! Does that make sense? :-?

James